PDA

View Full Version : stabilizer take off position

cafi19
11-26-2006, 08:37 AM
Hi,

The trim indicator snapped and needs to be repaired. Is there a way to figure out where the stabilizer should be on take off so that we can get it marked at least close to where it needs to be?

Thanks!!!

Oops....PA-18 150hp if it matters

Cafi

Ruidoso Ron
11-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Count the number of turns that it takes to go from full "Up" to full "Down", then crank back half that number. Should be about neutral. See you in Graham?

cafi19
11-26-2006, 08:43 AM
Thanks Ron!

Yup...I'll be there. Wouldn't miss it...I have lots of learnin' to do!!!
:D

cafi

Snert
11-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Then mark the outside with a grease pencil until you get it fixed.

Steve Pierce
11-26-2006, 08:50 AM
Laura, I looked at your pictures and I think if you run the trim all the way back and then connect the wire so the indicator lines up with your aft arrow and then all the way forward and it should line up with the front arrow. It will vary where the best position is. I finally went out and did a bunch of take-offs in the Pacer at different trim settings and found the best position for take-off. Those full nose up trim take-offs were interesting. :o See ya'll in Graham. Working on the details. :wink:

aktango58
11-26-2006, 09:43 AM
One turn back from full forward on wheels, tail comes up easy that way.

floats, about mid range.

cubscout
11-26-2006, 01:47 PM
At light solo (fairly forward CofG), hollow of the heel of my smallish hand on the stick, middle finger tip on the panel base. Two-up, light baggage, middle CofG maybe a turn or turn-and-a-half forward. Automatic part of the pre-takeoff check.

Heck lots o' the 'Cubs I used to fly had "issues" with the trim indicator.

Just my limited experience.

Thanks. cubscout

cubunltd
11-26-2006, 02:57 PM
Set the airplane level or use a digital level and place it on the left upper longeron at the throttle panel. Set the stabilizer at the same reading as the longeron. that gives you your initial neutral position.

John