• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Conibear traps

T.J.

Alaska
An old friend of mine lost his strip by his cabin this fall. The beavers dammed up a creek and flooded the strip. We need to eliminate them this winter while we can land on the strip. Does anyone have any 330 conibear traps for sale?
Thanks.

TJ,
I have a couple beaver-sized conibears hanging on the back of a shed here, you/your friend can have for the price of (postage?). I find that 00-Buck works better/quicker but ya gotta be there @ dusk. :)

It's a shame our national rodent is such a pest.

Nimpo:
Deal. I'll be more than happy to pay postage and any packing cost to you. The old guy will be happy to save his strip/cabin. He's 90 years old. He's one of my oldest friends. We used to sheep hunt together. He homesteaded here on the Kenai Peninsula in the late 40s.
Just let me know the cost. You want a money order or US cash?
I owe you a beer or Crown Royal, your choice!
Thanks.
T.J.

TJ,

I will let you borrow a couple of mine, I'll give you a shout after Thanksgiving.

Mac

Thanks Mac. It's Old Sam who needs them.
Did you find an engine for your plane yet?

Conibear

I am in the middle of an overhaul, should be done by next week :lol: I have been waiting for two weeks for a tach shaft that was supposed to come from Canada. It somehow got tied up and delayed by US Customs.

Mac

Nimpo:
Picked up the traps today at the post office. Will send funds to the return address on the package. I preciate the trouble!
Mac:
I got your trap yesterday down at Warrens. Thanks.
I'll tell Old Sam where the traps came from.
Hopefully, we can get over there this spring and save his strip and cabin.
T.J.

We've got a wild hog problem down here TJ. Tearing up several grass strips. Come down here where it is 60 degrees and kill all you want. :D

Steve,
Did I hear you say we're having wild hog at N.H. this year ??? Or was my mind playing tricks on me ??? :wink:

You want it I'll bring it. How big a pig do you want? You need to bring all your hunting clan down and knock a dent in the wild hog population down here. :D

It's on my list of things to hunt in my lifetime . How big are they ?? Can I get one in the Cub ??

Count me in for a hog hunt! Once I have a new cross-country machine, I can more readily fly to TX. One of my brothers-in-law wants to hunt porkers, too. My younger son, also, but I don't think we can all fly there with our huntin' gear. Perhaps we'll drive down. It's not much worse a drive than western Colorado (except for the crappy scenery).

I'd want to use my .54 muzzle-loader, with a .44 mag revolver as backup. Those 400-grain bullets (out of the .54) put a big hurt on even solid animals like hogs.

We can have a new annual event!

Jon B.

Sounds good to me ! Count me in.

Probably better than "hogger night" that we have up here, but thats whole nother story !!! :eek:

Jon,

You ought to try hunting them with a bow. VERY exciting. When we were station in Okinawa I would take military hops over to Gaum and bowhunt the wild hogs and Sambar deer in the jungle. It is quite a thrill to stalk those porkers in the jungle....real up close and personal!!!!.

Keith

hawg hunt

Dang, I wonder if new york nite hawg hunting is the same as it is here in alaska? I usually bring a friend or two to protect me from the really big ones :eek:

STEVE:

Take a half dozen grenades and put them in 6 mason jars. Be sure to get the small jars that will hold the handle down. (If you insist on bigger jars, you will only need one.) Fly around untill you spot the hawgs. Then just pull the pin(Don't try to use lids) and drop it on him. Helps to put a bite for the hawg in the jar first.

*You can pull the pins and then screw the lids on early. However, don't let the box make you nervous and cause you to drop it.

**Make sure the number of explosions match the number missing from your box.

Tips from your Old Uncle TD

TDTerry,
I was coming down off of the bluff in my trusty old Kawasaki Mule, at the place in Leakey, a few years ago. Each night, I went up to the top to watch the sunset, and polish off a couple of Dos Equis. I was carrying my .357 Mag S&W revolver, just in case I saw any hogs. Sure enough, as I came around the bend, there stood about 8-10 of those bad suckers, as big as calves, standing in the middle of the road! So I whipped out the six-shooter, and proceeded to play Roy Rogers, wheel in one hand, blazing away with the S&W with the other. It was so dark that I just kind of shot in the middle of the pack, hoping I would nail a couple of them. This was going real well until I hit the stump. :eek: I broke the drive belt, and knocked the fuel pump off with one fell swoop. She stopped real suddenly, and I knew she was down for the night. O.K., now I get to walk home, through the woods, in the dark, possibly with injured hogs waiting for me. They stayed with me, and snorted every now and then, to let me know they were there. If I'd of had a grenade, I would have tossed it for sure!

Ron.....I can just see you hit that stump. :D

You remember seeing sort of a twin barrel 22 semi-auto rifle thing in some of the old gun books? I designed everything I needed to put a pair on each wing of my PA-12. A pair of momentary switches for the electric triggers and a sight on the windscreen were in the plans. Well, I had trouble finding the special rifles and I decided to test the idea. Sheesh, I made my passenger sick, the coyotes mad, and decided that I needed to hunt animals that just stood and let you bomb them. Might be a good thing that I had to sell the plane soon after I figured out that hawgs would be the ideal targets. They just back under something and stare up.

Your ole uncle TD

110's

TJ,

I've got a 110 Conibear set in the horse barn right now. We've got a skunk problem again under the tackroom floor. Last year we got about 20 of the varmints either trapping or shooting them.

TD,
If you want to get serious about this quest, contact Skagwaypilot, and get him to fix you up with NIGHTVISION! I can just see you now, lurking around the hill country in your SC.........in the dark!

Ron,

It seems that there are almost as many drug hunter planes as bats around south Texas at night. I better stick with the day light. At least they just get my tail number wrong then.

Back