• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

tail skis?

TJ400

Lockport, Manitoba. Canada
Is anyone will ing to post pics of your homebuilt tail skis/tailwhell skis?...

Looking to install maybe Aero 2800 straight skis on my Bushmaster some day and would like some ideas for tail skis...

thanks
tj

Call up Burl Rogers and buy one of his penetration tailskis. They work really well, and you'd spend a lot of time trying to duplicate something that doesn't cost all that much to start with.

These are really good quality pieces.

MTV

I'll post a picture of mine when I get a chance. Total cost maybe $20 in materials.

100_2072.JPG

It's a little crude, but this was the proto type and it worked so I never did make a refined version.

Mount brackets are 16ga. flat steel, ski is UHMW heat formed, spring attatch in fron with a safety cable so as not to flip under. Ski rotates 360 no problem with the attatchment to the fork.

The refined version was to have heat formed edges and nicer brackets for mounting, but never got that far as this one worked when the snow got too deep for running just the tailwheel.

nice pics... just what I'm looking for.... thanks...

I trust the "U" clamp around the forks is to attach the spring and saftey cable too???

This is on an experimental SuperCub?...

more pics/ideas are welcome from anyone else..thanks..

Wish I had a picture,

years ago there was an aluminum snow shovel with attach points rivited on, and a spring running from the cut off handle to the wheel.

The mechanic that worked on that is actually an FAA guy now, (I bet won't claim it), the owner flew it with strait skis for a few years. Did the job.

I saw a similar idea made out'a a wok.
I found a wok, haven't cut/riveted yet.

skis

That's an interesting ski. I was passing through Fort Nelson years ago and saw a t-craft on a pair of skis with the same type bottoms. The guy had taken a set of federal pedestals and bolted uhmw to the bottoms. I asked him how the CAA approved them. It was on a private strip and he said they were a long way from the gov.

mvivion said:
Call up Burl Rogers and buy one of his penetration tailskis. They work really well, and you'd spend a lot of time trying to duplicate something that doesn't cost all that much to start with.

These are really good quality pieces.

MTV

I agree with Mike. Burl makes a great tailski. You won't be disappointed. I have been using one for quite a few years.

Torch

Burl makes a very nice tail ski, no problems over the past few years.

IMGP0164.JPG

M1

IMGP0159.JPG

How much are Burl's skis and are they STC'd ??
Couldn't find one that I liked, which is why I made mine . Not approved, but it works well.

Hey Dave J
Do you compact your strip ie run a snowmobile up and down it or a roller.First year at the WAD and trying to figure out what to do to keep it open for skis. I bought one of Burl's Magnum tail skis. Not enough snow last year to mount it but it looks well made and I like the piston set up.
Thanks
John

Use a drag behind a snowmobile to smooth out the ruts.

It can be cheap like a couple of pallets tied together so they are side by side and wider than the machine, or chain link fence wit some weight.

The lump left between the track and skis makes for an interesting ridge when it freezes solid :crazyeyes: . One bit of warming and any lumps make for tough landings on the gear.

Yes, I pack my runway when the snow gets too deep. Run over it with the snowmobile, then wait a few hrs and groom it with with a groomer we built for behind the snomobile.Similar to a trail groomer only about 1/3 the size. I'll post a picture when I get back home.

As for the tail ski, think I'll stick with mine for now.

Sorry Dave,
Did not mean to infer that your tail ski was not a slick rig. It was only $750 cheaper than mine and probably performs exactly the same. I saw one in Maine last year that was a plastic snow shovel with the handle modified to clamp onto to the spring. Works great.
John

M1 and david,

Did you leave the area of the tail section by the tailwheel open to make it easier for birds and other critters to nest in the back of your planes. They must find that opening mighty convenient.

Thats the way my cub was covered when I purchased it. So far no problems, since the cub is either in a closed hanger or flying. Nights out on a glacier don't seem to be problem with birds. Once float season starts, I probably don't start overnighting until July, when the alpine lakes are clear, so the birds should be done their nest building by then.

Good point, if you were parked outside, any hole looks pretty inviting for nest building.

M1

STMAWR14,

We leave the tailpost open for inspections up here. When flying around in the uglys lots of things like grime, water, salt and stuff can be trapped against the tailpost, causing lots of trouble.

I have parked my plane outside for a couple of summers. If you fly it often there is not much trouble with birds. You just need to fly it lots

Seen a few tail post that were in tough shape do to corosion from moisture and crud getting caught back there so I left it open whe I rebiult. Best deffense to keep birds n critters outta there is to fly it regularly. It is kept inside also so that helps too.

Back