• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Scott 3200 on J3

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Do you need an STC / Field approval to put the Scott 3200 on a J3, or is it in the TC?

Thanks!

sj

Not approved. Comes off at annual, goes back on shortly thereafter, though, on a lot of Cubs.

About like the 26 inch Goodyears on my Champ. The IA questioned it and I said," there are a couple of 6's on the tire, isn't that close enough". :lol:
Keith

I would send in the 337 and make sure it is approved.

When you wreck and the insurance company picks apart your plane they will not pay you for the claim and your IA that last signed the plane off will get hung!

California has a statute - the tailwheel would have to be a cause of the accident in order to evade coverage. IAs are only responsible for the configuration at the time of signoff - not afterward.

That's true in most states as well as in inusrance case law. The alleged unairworthy item would have to be the substantial and contributing factor to the loss. It's the same way with a health issue. If you think about it the standard makes sense, otherwise an insurance company would never have to pay out on a claim.

That being said, under the current policy on 337s what would have to be said in the 337 and included for accompanying paperwork for a 337 on the 3200 tailwheel?

The experience around here is that the 3200 is a vast improvement. Just use three springs if you've got a 4 leaf tailspring for the J-3.

It also begs the question as to what is the best approved tailwheel for a J-3? Any opinions/reasons?

It really doesn't make any difference, as long as you have it adjusted so it doesn't shimmy. Taxiing is easier with a full-swivel. I use a Maule, but with the kingpin bearing tightened up with tin-lead for a really snug fit.

Larger aircraft - the Supercub, Stinson, 180, etc, even the Maule - require the big Scotts. The little Cub can be flown with a tailskid.

Back