• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

MT Reversing Constant Speed Prop on Amphibs Video

So did you catch on that quick or did you edit out the Bloopers.

Looks like a handy mod for you heavy cub drivers on floats. In fact I could use it on my heavy M-7 on floats.

Jerry

What happens to engine cooling in reverse? There must be a limit on
how long it is used and the power setting.

Ron

Imagine a poor line-boy trying to tell his buddies after seeing it for the first time.....

"I'm telling you, this Super CUB BACKED-UP.... no joke, it had reverse ..... No I'm not crazy...... What'd you call me?!?!.........." :lol: :lol: :lol:

nkh

How fast can you go from alfa (forward) pitch to beta (reverse) pitch? In the video it looks like it might take a second or two. Is it practical to use it to shorten your landing distance? I think the transition time would need to be less than a second to be effective.

Thanks. It is a lot of fun to play with, and certainly you quickly start looking for a rearview mirror (should be part of the STC in my opinion). Since that day was the first time I had flown with the new prop, and I had an FAA guy in the back seat part of the time, and the conditions were less than perfect, I was pretty conservative about everything I tried.

The issue with shortening landing distance is that you have to be below 1400rpm or so before it will switch, and it then takes a second, maybe two at most. Plus you would want to be careful not to do anything crazy too early, as you would be removing the propwash over the horiz stab and elevator so if you slapped it into reverse without much forward speed it could get exciting really quick.

Once on the ground, it works fine to save your brakes and shorten your roll, and on the water as well - although amphib water drag is like having the brakes on all the time anyway.

Maybe the coolest feature is the ability to put it in "neutral" so it is not providing any thrust. Great for runups on the water or just warming up the engine.

As for cooling, I don't see this as something you would spend a lot of time in - and CERTAINLY not at high power settings.

Pretty darn fun mod. I can't wait to get the plane back in a week or so and play some more. More video to follow.

I am also looking to beg, lease, rent, borrow, buy a set of hydraulic wheel skis, or regular wheel skis for the winter this year. That would also be some fun testing!

sj

Yes, but be careful of the parking meters, they can take out a wing strut.

sj

steve, I'll try to find some old pix of Supercub mirror installations. As I recall Hudson or DeSoto mirror hung from the top front crosstube with Adel clamps....

But to be OSHA legal these days, don't you need a backup alarm like the construction equipment has?

Thanks. cubscout

cubscout said:
But to be OSHA legal these days, don't you need a backup alarm like the construction equipment has?

Thanks. cubscout

Why didn't I think of that! Cool!

sj

reversing props

Before anybody gets any ideas of coming in a little hot and putting it into reverse it would be well advised to have your tail on the ground before you do so. Just my two cents.

Back