• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

MN DEER 2006

scout88305

SPONSOR
Northern Minnesota
After a slow opener sat we got 2 today. The rut is on. Lots of grunting. The warm weather and full moon phase seem to be against us. Our party has seen fewer deer than ever before. At night on the runway 20 deer not uncommon feeding. I can tell you though the lesser bucks we passed up which were a 6 and fork and the 2 below weighing #220 and #198 had blood in their eye and were chasing the does.

IMG_4729.jpg

IMG_4727.jpg

Below is a picture of all the deer I saw this weekend.

Oh. There is nothing here. Funny that. All I saw were 10,000 red squirrels.

My wife started hunting this year and shot her first deer this morning. A nice fork horn and BOY was she excited. I am proud of her. She did a really good job before and after the kill.

Great Deer Scout,
Can't beat any hunting in Shirt Sleeves, Unless you get skunked !!!!!
The Beer always tastes better at 65 than it does at 10 below!!!!

If you're looking for deer, come to northern Indiana: they're standing alongside the road, waiting to commit suicide. I was on the road much of yesterday, and it seems like I passed a roadkill deer every two miles.

I'll second most of Eric's comments. Very little deer movement this weekend even with all the idiots tramping around in the woods. The bucks seem to just be coming into the hard rut. Most of the bucks shot around here....there necks were barely swelled. SOme bucks were seen chasing does but all the ones I saw were just semi interested. Yesterday morning I did harvest a nice 8-point, live weight of 230lbs and dressed out at 186. Text book shot at 275 yards. It's neck was pretty swelled but it had ZERO interest in the two does that were near it. As a mater of fact it walked the opposite direction as they were going. Also shot a smaller basket racked but for my hunting buddies since they weren't seing anything.

One of these days I'll figure out how to post a picture! :roll:

Keith

I like David Jaronson's second picture - look in the background - you'll see a yellow lab pup about to do battle with one of the hanging deer. The deer movement up here has been mostly mid day. The rut is not really going here yet. The two 8's we shot had small necks, and still lots of fawns with the does, haven't been run off by brutus yet.

I took the tractor down to the woods this afternoon to mow some horseweeds on my path to the deer stand, on the way I saw a buck aggressively chasing a doe in the adjacent field. Our Illinois slug season opens November 17th. All of the crops in the area have been harvested, so if the weather is fit, it should be a good season.

Nice buck scout. I just got back from my deer lease in Old Mexico. We are getting ready for the season to start which will be the first weekend of December. The bucks down here in Texas usually start the rut mid December and go till....

I love to bow hunt,fish and fly. Keep those good photos posted. I will do the same soon as I have luck down Mexico way.

deer

100_2061.JPG

Ok, so they're not huge, but they are getting bigger !! :lol:
Shot this one yesterday at 10 a.m. Still no rut going on here yet.

000_0013.JPG

Eric,

I do get accused of that, but do try to very my interests now and then . Such as fishing !!! :lol:

Ya David, when me and Wilbur went ice fishing with you, we didn't catch jack. But Wilbur keep warm with Tom's engine heater. As for the deer, I could shoot one of them with my Crossman 760 Powermaster since 200 show up every day for you to feed them.
Keep your head up and say hello to mom.
Mark
:drinking:

Way to go Ali! David, how did she get that buck on the back of her bicycle?

sj

This buck has crossed at our mailbox almost daily since the season opened. Time for a stand there. .348 Winchester shown for comparrison

IMG_4738.jpg

Eric,

I got a gig boy hanging around my place also. But he's a sneaking bugger. Nocturnal as heck...I'm trying a scent drip bottle....one week left to get him.

Most of the movement has reall slowed down. Most of them are moving around here WAY before daylight. I have been seeing most of the deer between 4-5 am. Guess they are still quite spooked from opening weekend and all the idiots.

Keith

MN deer

Just came back from SD west river special deer hunt and have never seen a buck to doe ratio as this! 8 pointers running around all over and seeing as many as 10 different bucks in a 4 hour span! Just took a break to taste V tenderloins marinated in a special rasbery & jalapenio pepper concauction given to me from a friend in SD, you guys ought to try this one. We had elk tenderloins in CO a few weeks ago also and was awesome. Back to the hunt, everyone filled out on nice bucks! David- last day i had a big 10 like the one in your photo at 70 yards and had to let him go, plus a large 5-5 mulie, which was very hard to do with my itchy trigger finger!

MN deer

Just got done feasting, try this marinade guys! 18 oz. raspberry preserves, 16 0z. bottle raspberry viagarette, 11 oz. can of sliced jalapenios. I think you will like it very much as i sure do, it is not too hot if you do not like peppers, but the raspberry sure comes alive.

tony_wolf_041.jpg

tony_wolf_007.jpg

Minnesota Whitetail Controllers.

Some trail camera shots from about 15 miles NW of Orr, MN this fall.

Was that poodle near your cabin on Blackduck? Either I have seen that same wolf about ten miles down the 203 road by our shack, or there is more than one blackie around. Several years ago there was a black poodle about a mile past Elephant Lake on the 203 road - flat as a pancake after taking on a pulp truck. Russ

Russ,

That one is about 5 miles down the Nett River from Nett Lake. I've only seen one that was part black in our area but it was big.

Back