• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

lift strut

Josh

whats the difference between a "sealed" lift strut and a "NON-sealed" lift strut? how can I tell the difference VISUALLY? please im new to cubs so bear with me :angel :angel:

Josh,

The UNsealed struts were "open" at the top end where the bolt that attaches the strut to the wing goes through. A SEALED strut has a bushing welded into this hole thus sealing the strut. (Water tended to migrate into this hole over time - especially if the plane spent time outside - and the accumulated water would rust the strut from the inside out.)

I generally believe that all struts sold today are SEALED. There are at leats 3 sources of struts - Airframes, WagAero and Univair. The Univair sealed struts can be identified by a "U" inside a circle stamped on the flat at the top of the strut. I do not know about Airframes or Wag.

John Scott

Most all of the sealed struts I have seen have a larger fork also. The original forks were 3/8". The fitting that the fork is screwed into is also sealed. Not supposed to be any door catches or strut fairings screwed into sealed struts either.

Wag Aero's sealed struts for the J-3 have the smaller fork. I was looking in a 1973 Trade a Plane yesterday and seen a Univair ad and a front srtut for a PA-18 was $54.00.

R. JOHNSON said:
I was looking in a 1973 Trade a Plane yesterday and seen a Univair ad and a front srtut for a PA-18 was $54.00.

Yea, but that was not for a sealed strut! :D

John Scott

My struts have a stamp at the top that has "EU" and "CX" any one know what that means? The log books say the AD99-01-05 has been complied with from last annual, trying to figure if they are sealed or not, I dont see any holes or gaps at either end of the struts, any one know? ....I guess Ill wait till my Mech. gets back.

If the logbooks say the AD was complied with, the chances are they are not sealed. If they were it would say "Not Applicable" or N/A with some notation referencing the sealed struts.
I think.......

Back