• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

closing the Big Lake Alaska float ramp

jay cross

I was at a Big Lake Community Council meeting on projects for the upcoming year. I suggested upgrading the float ramp and I was suprised by the reaction of the board members. One said that they wouldn't worry about that because they were going to get rid of it. Not knowing the history of what was happening I did some research. Evidently the ramp is in a Borough park and this one long time board member has been trying to get rid of it for years. This is the only access to the lake off of the airport. Anybody who uses this facility needs to get in contact with the local assembly member. There will be another meeting Wed the 11the of Oct. in Big Lake.

Not my letter(Lance's) just passing this on for info---hope to see some folks there. We have fought this battle once and here we go again.

Here is a letter that I sent to our Big Community Council.They are trying to close the ramp for the float plane launch. This could really impact our operation here,our customers as well as our vendors. They are having a meeting tonight 7 pm at the Fire Hall. It will ultimately be decided by the Borough and they are having a meeting in Wasilla Oct. 18 @ 6:30 Cottoncreek Elementary School 800 N. Meridian Rd. If you would like to voice a comment on this issue via e-mail please send a note to Brad Sworts Mat-Su Borough Planning Department Palmer Alaska at bsworts@matsugov.us thanks for your interest............Lance Johnson

Aviation & Marine Technical Services LLC

P.O. Box 521170

Big Lake, AK 99652

907-892-9000

October 11, 2006

ATTN: Margaret Billinger President, Big Lake Community Council,

My name is Lance Johnson. I am the owner of Aviation & Marine Technical Services LLC located in the Big Lake Airport. I have just received an e-mail from a fellow local aviation business associate alerting me to a posting on http://www.supercub.org that was originally posted by Mr. Jay Cross. I have pasted the posting at the bottom of this letter. If this is true and somehow comes to pass, the financial effects would quite literally put myself and perhaps others out of business.

As I’m sure you are aware, aviation is an essential part of life for a vast number of Alaskans. Many residents (Big Lake included) rely on their aircraft for the livelihood of themselves and their families. It is imperative that they are able to have the resources needed to alter the gear set-up on their aircraft, as the seasons require. This includes the ability to take their airplanes on and off of floats (A service that my and other local companies in the Big Lake Area provide). So as you can see, eliminating the float ramp does not only impact hobbyists, but would have a substantial impact on business aviators and their service providers alike. In addition, a lack of resources for local aviation businesses and their maintenance providers will force a relocation of business to Anchorage, therefore affecting the tax base of the Mat-Su Borough.

I would appreciate a reply of your position on this matter.

Regards,

Lance Johnson

Posted: Wed Oct. 11, 2006

Subject: Closing the Big Lake Alaska Float Ramp

I was at the Big Lake Community Council meeting on projects for the upcoming year. I suggested upgrading the float ramp and I was surprised by the reaction of the board members. One said that they wouldn’t worry about that because they were going to get rid of it. Not knowing the history of what was happening, I did some research. Evidently the ramp is in a Borough park and this one long time board member has been trying to get rid of it for years. This is the only access to the lake off of the airport. Anybody who uses the facility needs to get in contact with the local assembly member. There will be another meeting Wed the 11th of Oct. in Big Lake.

jay

I sent an email to all the borough assembly members asking to not only not close the ramp, but to spend money to improve it. As I am a Big Lake float plane pilot this is an important issue for us.

We have used one or more of the mechanic facilities in Big Lake for work on our airplanes, and plan to continue. Closing or restricting access would mean we can't get our maintenance work done.

I just sent an email also.....thank you for the heads-up.

Thanks for the heads up Jay. About 15 showed up tonite and got the Float Plane Ramp put on the CIP list which I believe is the comprehensive improvement plan for Big Lake. Yes there is one board member that appears to want us out of there. I think overall the board is starting to realize the impact a closure would make. Cindy Bettine our District Bourough Assembly Member was there. She seems to be pro pilot as her husband flies and has used the ramp also. A lot more to the meeting but just thought I'd give a brief update.

Mark

float ramp

I would like to thank you all for picking this up. With my senate camoaign in the final stages things are hectic. Jay

Lance over at AMTS ended up devoting his whole day to getting as many people as he could to show up tonight ---and get the general word out. It worked. Good Job Lance--Thanks!

Mark

Letter from Cindy Bettine--Assembly Member---District 5

Hello Aviators,
Thanks for coming to the Big Lake Community Council meeting tonight. I know the importance of the facility and believe this site should be dedicated as a float plane launch. I have already begun the process to get the permit issue solved and I will also look into getting the facility dedicated to the purpose of float plane launch, so that future users can count of the launch.

If you want an up-grade to the site (fencing, brushing, whatever), please promote it through this Community Council process with a list of needed improvements.

The Council did not approve the final CIP list tonight. They will be working on the list again on Oct. 25 at 7pm at the Fire station. If improvements are needed, it is important that this facility gets on the list. A couple of you need to be in attendance at the next meeting to promote this. As the Assembly representative, it is not proper for me to lobby for one project over the other at the community council level. However, you can bet I will support you at the Assembly table.

Only members of the Community Council will be able to vote on the final list. Membership is $10.00 per year and you must be a resident of Big Lake to be a voting member. The Big Lake Community Council is (only) advisory to the Borough. It is a great local avenue to promote legislation for Big Lake. Stay tuned for more updates.

Cindy Bettine
Mat Su Borough Assembly
892-8877

PS. I added a few people I know that are aviators to this email. If you were not at the meeting, I think you can get the jest of this message

Back