• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

C-170

Samsam

Was the cessna 170 ever used as a bush plane (on a regular basis)? If it was, is it still used as such?

Yes.

No.

MTV :lol:

Actually, my 170 was purchased by Merle K. (Mudhole) Smith, and operated by Cordova Airways for a number of years. Several of the books about sheep hunting in the Wrangell Mountains contain pictures of my airplane when it worked for Smitty.

Nowadays, it'd be pretty hard to work a 170 commercially and make money with it.

MTV

mvivion said:
Yes.

No.

MTV :lol:

Actually, my 170 was purchased by Merle K. (Mudhole) Smith, and operated by Cordova Airways for a number of years. Several of the books about sheep hunting in the Wrangell Mountains contain pictures of my airplane when it worked for Smitty.

Nowadays, it'd be pretty hard to work a 170 commercially and make money with it.

MTV

And the bush pilot days is over! uh Mike :wink:

MTV[/quote]And the bush pilot days is over! uh Mike :wink:[/quote]

Depends what you call a bush pilot?

You boys hash out what a bush pilot is or not, and if there are any left!!!

I'll tell you one thing, I went hunting with a guy this year that had a ragged out 170B with a 145 hp engine. He put 31 inch bushwheels on the plane and a stock tail wheel. That plane could pull an amazing load out of 700 feet.

Now granted this guy is new to this sort of off airport flying, but he has 15,000 hours TT. I would shake my head as he loaded this plane and would get off the ground. I was impressed.

Makes a guys wonder why I still have my Cub!!!

Well, Mike--I wouldn't argue that, necessarily.

But the question was operating commercially :angel: .

MTV

No it was not a 135 operation.

But it makes me mad that you wouldn't sell me your plane before you left Alaska. Now I know why.

Hope all is well.

Winter is around the corner in Nome.

Mike

There's a book out there called: "Bush and Arctic Pilot" by Al Williams. In several of the early chapters he deals with his commercial use of a 170 on floats.

They would load the thing to a point where it wouldn't get on the step. So they used a speed boat with a new Mercury 70hp outboard to help pull the airplane on the step. As the aircraft got on step and gained speed, the rope's end eye would slip off the back of the left float's bow cleat due to water drag...and off the 170 would go. Supposedly Mercury used this in their advertising.

http://www.amazon.com/Bush-Arctic-P...ef=sr_1_5/002-7736275-2898445?ie=UTF8&s=books

It's good read, right up there with the best of the "bush pilot books"

Samsam

On of my favorite bush flying books is "The Last of The Bush Pilots"
by Harmon Helmericks.
He used and flew a C-170B extensively. Great read. Highly recommended for your library.

Bill

I've changed my mind about the Stinson 108 and am now going off in search of a 170B. The fuel consumption
and engine parts availability have me somewhat concerned.

Can parts be readily located for the 170B?

Are there things that one has to watch out for beyond the obvious?

How much should a B model weigh, empty and dry? From what I've seen & read, they should have about a 900 pound
useful load, maybe a bit more.

If I want to put it on skis, I presume heavy-duty gear and solid axles are a must-have.

I've posted a "wanted" ad in the classified section and am scouring the internet.
I no longer have a TAP subscription...

Jon B.

Jon B. said:
I've changed my mind about the Stinson 108 and am now going off in search of a 170B. The fuel consumption
and engine parts availability have me somewhat concerned.

Can parts be readily located for the 170B?

Are there things that one has to watch out for beyond the obvious?

How much should a B model weigh, empty and dry? From what I've seen & read, they should have about a 900 pound
useful load, maybe a bit more.

If I want to put it on skis, I presume heavy-duty gear and solid axles are a must-have.

I've posted a "wanted" ad in the classified section and am scouring the internet.
I no longer have a TAP subscription...

Jon B.

Parts are available, not always new off the shelf, but if it can't be bought it can be made.

Things to watch out for when you first look at one; look at the skin between the gear legs if it's wrinkled something got bent in the gear box, take a good look at the door hinges if they are shot new ones will cost about $500 each for the top door side (those are the ones that get hammered on) they can be fixed but it's good bargaining ammo, of course there's the dreaded seat rail issue just make sure they are in good condition if not plan on replacing them, also spend some time looking at the tailwheel bracket/tailcone for cracks etc. the C170 has one of the shortest AD lists might as well pull it and look that over.

You will want the hollow steel axles for skis, Airframes Inc. has them, I bought a set they are well made. Mine has early 180 gear legs I've read that you want that for skis but I don't know how big an issue that really is. The 180 gear is going to add about 25-30lbs.

My 52B is 1320lbs with the back seat out, the seat is 28lbs. I've heard them coming in as heavy as 1500lbs but those planes have every bell, whistle, widget available in the panel etc. 1300-1350 is very typical for a B model, full gross certificated is 2200lbs.

Tanks are 21gal each (1 per wing) 18.5 useable each.

The 80/42 prop is the one to have for shortfield/floats, Kenmore Air has the STC for $150.

There's a P-Ponk mod that can be done to strengthen the gear-box against lateral forces might be worth consideration, it's not to spendy.

JB - supposedly there is a decent 170A for sale in Montevideo (semi-cheap). Just ask the guy at the shop.

You may have to fight through clouds of cigarette smoke to find someone in the office. It's almost IFR in there... :-?

Brad

Jon,

Send me a p/m. Come to Crookston, and you can fly mine. It's 1366 on wheels, with a Lycoming O-360 and 80 inch constant speed prop and harmonic damper assy. And P-Ponk kit.

Mine has a sling seat in back, which is a little lighter than the stock seat. I also have a Skytec starter, and an Odyssey battery, and 180 gear, 8.50 x 6.00 tires.

They are a fine airplane, though not very fast.

I would NOT look at an A model, frankly. The biggest difference Cessna ever made in their airplanes was going to the "para lift" flaps. They do make a difference, and you'll only get them with the B model.

The A's work okay, but the B is more desireable.

Again, give me a hoot, and if you have a minute, call me or come on over.

MTV

"The Last of The Bush Pilots"
by Harmon Helmericks.

Thanks for the tip Bill! I look forward to reading it.

Jon,
here are some 170b ads...

1952 170B, TTAF 4820, SMOH 1310, Bush STOL, 180HP, C/S prop, dual IFR, Nav/Com, ARNAV, FMS 5000/GPS, Terra Tri Nav-C, 4-pl. int, 180 gear, 9-out/ 7-in, always hangared. $68K. AL/(334) 277-7724.

1952 170B, 3400-TT, 235 SMOH, Horton STOL kit, heavy gear legs, Cleveland's, new style Gyros. King radios. $38,500. OH/(740) 625-6803.

1955 C-170B, 5052 TTA, 2095 SMOH. Very nice airplane. Lots of extras. Asking $35,000. Email me for spec sheet & pics: B747Inst@aol.com or call Gary MN/(612) 619-6985.

1953 C170B, SN-25147, N8295A, 4311TT, 1010 SMOH, 180 gear, King KX-125, xpdr, Imron paint, fresh annual. $43,000. ID/(208) 486-6149.

1954 C-170B, 4173-TT, 190 SMOH, 190 prop, KY97A, GPS, Loran, strobes, front shoulder harness, fresh annual. Asking $41,500. CA/(209) 367-1292.

JonB

You definitely want the B model. If you get the "lady gear" you will not need the 180 gear. The "lady gear" has the narrow ankle and came out on the 53 and later models. It will do fine on skis with the heavy axles. Lots of info on the 170 site. It may take a while to find one but it is a fine airplane.

Bill

Back