• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

10 extra H.P. for $150.00

gander

wasilla ak.
I was talking with a outfitter this fall about his plane and he showed me a contraption on his fuel line before the carb. claiming to get a extra 10 or so HP. It is a NIKKEN MAGNA CHARGER used to soften water. it is itended to clamp arounds your plumbing pipes. You tell me what do you think??? gonna have to look it up on the net i to stupid to figure out how to post links or pictures. This is for experemental guys only of coarse.

I think it will work!! After that you can put one of them Tornado things in the air intake, gotta be good for another 5 or 6 H.P.

I also hear that waxing your props leading edge helps lower drag, thus increasing H.P. another 2 to 3.

OH WAIT,,,, there is also the old dry ice in the zip lock bag trick. Put the dry ice in a bag and suspend it from a string. Put that in the tank you use for take off and replace the cap with the string just under the lip. The fuel will soon be cold, which when mixed with the incoming air (or "mini Tornado") will be much more dense..... You guessed it, 2 more H.P.

Lets see:
Fuel Thingy=10 H.P.
Tornado =6 H.P.
Wax =3 H.P.
Dry Ice =2 H.P.
Total==== 21 H.P.

Not Too Shaby,,,,,Now lets get a speed mod thread going next.

Scott...

gander said:
I was talking with a outfitter this fall about his plane and he showed me a contraption on his fuel line before the carb. claiming to get a extra 10 or so HP. It is a NIKKEN MAGNA CHARGER used to soften water. it is itended to clamp arounds your plumbing pipes. You tell me what do you think??? gonna have to look it up on the net i to stupid to figure out how to post links or pictures. This is for experemental guys only of coarse.
:bad-words: I just went and spent a couple grand converting my 150 to 160 hp and all I really had to do was go down to the local hardware store and buy that $15 gizmo %#@&$% :bad-words: now I'm really steamed

Spend about a week(and three shirts) polishing the inside of your carb with emery cloth,(don't plug any holes) and get rid of that .025 inch lip on the trailing edge of the one-piece venturi, and pick up about twelve HP...
(assuming a -32 carb...)

Darn.........now everyone's on to my tricks!

I've been squirting Helium (which everyone knows is lighter than air) into my BIG tires, plus filled up the tubing in my frame and plugged it off.
Next I'm thinking about getting me a tank for the baggage compartment. If that works, I'll rig up some bladder system to fill the voids in the wings between the ribs.

Heck, this Cub takes off like a hot-air ballon, faster now so it cruises like a Mooney!

We could make a TV show...no wait, they already have one;
Myth Busters!

gander said:

Yup. Put one on my push lawnmower. Now you have to be careful on the throttle or the blade will act like a helocopter and make it fly away.... :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:

Hey, Byron, you told me about the venturi lip.....power is very subjective, at least I measure everything before and after...(fuel flow method, in this case)...not that it means much, experimental error in this (cub)world is about 50%, I think... :crazyeyes:

Fobjob....I agree. If I had a nickle for every "trick" that I've tried I'd have a big stack of nickles.

Instead I have a negative balance in my checking account and a sorry ol' wore out, ragga-muffin Cub...... that only makes about 109 h.p. and uses 734 feet for a take-off roll...empty!

Somethings work, and somethings don't.

Back