• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wag Aero PA-18 Replica

acroeric

SPONSOR
Burlington, NC
Does anyone have any experience with regard to a Wag-Aero Super Cub replica? There is one for sale locally that appears to be a really nice plane. It has built up wood wings, O-320, and is fairly lightweight. Having never seen the plans I was wondering if it was just a slightly modified J-3 or a true PA-18 style fuselage. This one was plans built and has balanced tail surfaces.

The wagaero plans are for a J3 so it would almost have to be a modified J3 style fuselage. I believe they call it a supersport.

I am building a Wag 2+2 but some of my experience might help evaluate the design you are looking at. One of the differences in design with the 2+2 and possibly the Wag Sport Trainer is the trim system. Wag uses a trim tab rather than the jack screw on the 2+2, major difference. Like many builders, I have added the jack screw. Another difference is that the Sport Trainer and the 2+2 are built with out flaps. I am adding flaps to my design. Also, the Super Cub never came with wood wings. Nothing wrong with wood wings, I am building mine with wood but not true to Super Cub. The Sport Trainer from the plans is simply a J3 modified for a larger engine. However, if the seller is advertising it as a Pa-18 replica, they might have included other changes that are more Super Cub than Cub. So, you will need to look very carefully at the plane to determine if it is more replica Super Cub or Cub.

Marty Feehan

wag aero

I have a set of those plans and they are essentially a J-3. It could be built with a pressure cowl ala Pa-11 or not. They also had a mod to put a PA-18 top deck and a 150hp engine. There is a supplement to put a greenhouse like a L-21 also. There are a few of them flying up here. Don't look down your nose at a wood wing either. Properly maintained they work great.

wag-aero

The old cub man i bought mine from always thought the wood spars were better due to wt and flexibility

It does have a trim tab which to me is BAD- I like the jack screw arrangement better. . . . greenhouse rear, wood wings are awesome but no flaps. I think it is just the Sport Trainer with the 150hp mods. I know it would perform well but what would something like this be worth? 900 tt on engine and airframe, 12 year old Ceconite in good condition.

acroeric said:
It does have a trim tab which to me is BAD- I like the jack screw arrangement better. . . . greenhouse rear, wood wings are awesome but no flaps. I think it is just the Sport Trainer with the 150hp mods. I know it would perform well but what would something like this be worth? 900 tt on engine and airframe, 12 year old Ceconite in good condition.

Tim's 2+2 does not have flaps on it, he has spoilers. You might want to check with him. Personally, I can get by without the flaps on landing...it is being able to pop them for takeoff which is nice.

Tim

You can check out the Wag Aero site for the kit price and figure from there. Remember, exp's are always wort less than production if you are making compairisons. Regarding the trim tab, you could change it over but it would be a fair amount of work. It might be a good mod to make when recovering the air frame. You can check in with the Wagbuilders group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wagbuilders/ for addational info about the Sport Trainer.

Marty

Wag Aero Plane

If this is the plane I know of, the wings attach like a Supercub, not a J3.
The builder used to be a friend of mine until he moved.

Mike

For what it's worth, when I recover my 2+2 (in 2 or 3 years ) I'm adding flaps.

Tim

Back