• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Old Dog Advise

Nathan K. Hammond

Danville, KY DVK
Hey guys I'm lookin for some ideas. My mutt is a mix of sheep dog, about 14-15 years old and is starting to show his age. Mainly in his rear end, like around the hips and back legs. They're real stiff in the morning or when ever he's been asleep for a while. We have hard wood floors and it's gotten to the point where he can't get his feet under him fast enough to get up. On a rug or carpet he's fine because of added traction. I've had him on senior food for a while, plus over the counter joint tablets. I tried some "Cetel 'M" (sp?) but didn't have any noticeable effects.

So I'm wondering, is their something I or a Vet can get him. Steroid shots?

Thanks!

nkh

Give him some chondroitin and glucosamine, right from the drug store. It worked wonders for my parents' lab.

LM

With my last old dog, I gave him 1/2 an aspirin. It worked pretty good and did not upset his stomach. If Doc Papp is around, he will know.
Glucosomin sulfide works for my arthritis, should work for another old dog. :D

Just don't give a dog acetaminophen or ibuprophen (also spelled with an "f"). They are toxic to dogs, as are hops, so don't give him any beer, either. 8) Spoil him rotten while you can. We just lost our dog six weeks ago. :angel:

LM

Our old lab had that same problem in his older years. Our vet had us give him 1 childrens asprin (yes, childrens asprin, not tylenol) in the morning. Worked really well for him.

And I agree lachlan, definitely spoil him.

Nathan,

Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate (use human adult dose) , asprin (ascriptin brand--it't enteric coated -easier on the stomach) one time per day, Vitamin C 250-500 mg daily. If these don't work well ask your vet about NSAIDS. There are several to chose from depending on your dogs previous medical conditions. As with all meds watch for vomiting , bleeding, dark tarry stools etc. Remember, we all get old and wear out. Love him while you can but don't be selfish and hold on too long. You will Know when it's time--- be good to your friend. Rick :D :D :D

We had a beloved 160 lbs Newfoundland dog and he had hip problems. Our vet deals mainly with large breed dogs and many horses. He suggested Adaquin IM injections. Adaquin is made for repairing joint problems in horses. The injections really helped and you could see a difference right away. They were easy to give and I will do the same for our new Newf "Gus" when he gets old and stiff also. Get him a big soft pillow and give him a big hug for me.

Thank You All!!

Thanks to all you guys for the help and advise. I stopped by the drug store and picked up what was suggested and have started him on it already. Moe (the Mutt) seemed to be in chipper spirits today, he even stayed at the hangar all day instead of sneaking off to the AirConditioned house! Either my imagination is running wild, or he's feeling better already.

From myself and Moe, a heart felt ThankYou! :angel:

nkh

100_0029.jpg

I had one Chocolate Lab (Stikine River Red, aka Red Dawg) who made it to 14 years when she locked up in the hind-end. Hard floor really did a number on her. My Old shepard Sam Houston went at the same time and at the same age. I waited far to long on both hoping something would get better.
I miss those dogs more than most people I know/knew...

I try to keep Heidi the 1.5 year old Shepard eating well and keep the weight off of her. Plus her bed is better than ours... Doesn't matter though, she still gets in ours.

Cod Liver oil is actually a ripping good idea. We would live a lot longer, and suffer much less arthritis, with a good dose of fish oil (omega 3 fatty acids).....nutritional history is loaded with examples...the only difference is: the dogs and cats like the taste more than we do! I get at least three capsules of flaxseed oil per day, cook with olive oil, and use canola oil mayonaise, to keep my intake of omega 3's up...in the words of the oldest woman alive, now dead, at 120 or so...."Eat a little herring every day"....!! :frog:

Rimadyl will make him feel like a big puppy. Works pretty good with our old Bailey-dog. He's got that damned hip displasia too. He's about ninety pounds and we give him half every few days. Then he wants to go wrastle and chase sticks and kiss all the girls!

I think dogs are God's way of teaching us humility! They don't hang around long enough!

:angel:

Moe,
Your liver is far better than your masters, and your metabolism is much better, so use adult human or near adult-human doses of chondroitin with glucosamine along with cod liver oil or omega-3-fatty acids every day for your gimp. And when you are stiff or in pain, an adult aspirin (enteric coated or buffered) will make you feel much better (four times a day). AND tell NATHAN that a LARGE SOFT bed would really make you feel happy in the mornings (sheepskin works well). Ask him how HE would like to try to catch a few ZZZ's on the hanger floor without a nice pad. :) Good luck, buddy.

Recently saw a bumper sticker I thought was good.

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"
Bill :D

Sounds like NKH is doing that.

The term dog is not politically correct anymore. The correct term is Canine Americans

i have a lab that is 15, i have him on rimidyl and cosoquin not sure if the spelling is correct on the second. we also have hardwood floors,just put some area rugs down.my old dog cannot get into bed anymore so i just bought a mattress pad and sleep on the floor with my wife doesnt mind because i have had him alot longer than i have been married. rimidyl took about a month to work but once it did i noticed a huge differance. it is exspensive but i feel it is a owners responsibility to the dog.

So the Dog is sleeping on the bed....??
How is the floor doing for you and the wife a mattress pad is pretty thin..??
No wonder the pup is thrilled!

Sam

8)

Here's an update for everyone,

Moe is doing MUCH better now. He's on one heck of cocktail, full of vitamins, supplements, and other goodies. But he sure hasn't lost his appetite, 3 bowls a day and they're clean in no time! Getting up and laying down is easier for him now, although he still slips on the hardwood floors. But if you see his paws in the pics, you can understand why. :lol: :wink: I made a bed for him about a year ago, but he doesn't seem to use it except when it's cold out. He must prefer the cool floor during the summer heat. But have no fear; he still gets up on the couch! :lol:

I want to thank you all again for all the great and FAST advise to help that Mutt! I know he appreciates it. :angel:

101_0193.jpg

102_0204.jpg

nkh

Back