PDA

View Full Version : FL 39

scout88305
09-03-2006, 09:15 PM
A few weeks ago enroute to AK via a NWA 757 I looked out the window after maybe 3 hours and saw this winding river cut through high mountainous terraign. I say to my friend that we are crossing the Liard River. His reply was "at 39000 feet you are naming that river? Yea Right!"

I went into the overhead and got my Garmin III and placed along the window. After a few minutes I got some bars and SHEBANG..... Up pops the moving map with LIARD alongside the waterway.

As a pretty stewardess walked by I told her to tell the Capt. we had just passed the Liard River and were traveling 529 mph. She smiled and picked up the courteousy phone and had a little chat smiling as she spoke. We all had a nice laugh and the Capt. got a kick out of it.

After following a PA11 through the river gorge in bad weather flying from Watson Lk. to Fort Nelson I will never forget that country. Even at FL 39!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/onceacop/IMG_0749.jpg

JP
09-03-2006, 09:45 PM
That's pretty cool.

Back in the pre-9/11 days I got bored as passenger on a regional CRJ flight and got out my GPS III. It worked fine up against the window.

The flight attendant didn't like it at all, though, and ordered me to turn it off as it was "not approved for use during flight." I complied immediately. I was very apologetic and polite and told her it was a navigation device similar to what the pilots were using to navigate with.

She looked quite skeptical and asked if she could show it to the Captain and see if it was permissible. Naturally, I consented.

About 15 minutes later she returned looking a bit sheepish. When I inquired as to whether or not it was ok to have it she said "I guess so--they were steering the airplane with it!"

hankster
09-04-2006, 08:24 AM
That is indeed cool . . . very cool.

For some strange reason unknown to me, American Airlines bans handheld GPS operation in the cabin. It's their published policy. Strange. . .

Hank

Ruidoso Ron
09-04-2006, 08:46 AM
A few years ago, while on an AA flight, I was asked to put my GPS away, which I did. The following week I wrote a letter to American asking them why they had this policy in force. After about six months, I received a response which, in effect, said they had reconsidered the policy, and that I was now authorized to use the GPS when above 10,000'. They indicated that they would change the information in the crews' handbooks, and that, in the mean time, I should show the letter to anybody who questioned me. Don't know if they ever got the policy changed, but I have since misplaced the letter.

Christina Young
09-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Scout, that is indeed a pretty flight. Was just there a couple of days ago, and had simply beautiful weather through the Grand Canyon of the Liard and Hell Gate. Got some great pictures! As for weather, it was pretty stacked up on the previous leg, from Whitehorse to Watson Lake, around the Pine Lake area. Just slowed down a bit and flew low over the highway to get through it.

Jerry Gaston
09-06-2006, 07:38 AM
Christina Glad to hear your back home. Would like to hear from you and about your trip. I just got home myself and haven't checked the site to see if you already posted but would still like to hear from you. :D

Christina Young
09-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Jerry, not back home yet, remember I have to go all the way to the east coast! Expect to be back home Saturday probably. Currently in Dubuque Iowa.

Cheers.....