• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Skywagon Jump Seats

wingnut18

Bend, Oregon
I am shopping for jump seats for the 180. I like the BAS seats, they appear to be lighter and fold tighter to the side than the FA Dodge, but the FA Dodge seats appear to be a bit tougher than the BAS. The price and install time seem to be about the same. I would be happy with some Cessna jump seats if any one had some for sale. Any thoughts?

The Cessna jump seats can be had. I heard you'll find that about $1,000 will trade okay for them.

I like the BAS for lightweight, convenience, install time, and stowability. Whether a guy likes Atlees, or BAS, when stowed, they take up a bit of that space on the sides of the cabin. BAS usually slightly less space, depending on the seat cushion, or lack thereof.

The problem with the Cessna's is they're not as quick to set-up when you want to use 'em, and when you want them, they may have been left at home that last trip, etc. etc.....and they have to be stowed on top of your load when you take them out, so they use some room, etc etc.

A fabric sling seat is a decent way to go for portability, weight, and installation/removal ease. The compromise comes in how comfortable it will be. I've been in some that were more comfortable than a regular seat, and others that were HELL!!! I think the way they're sewn up makes or breaks the design.

Anyone else??

DAVE

Dave,

I have a sling seat in my airplane, and the problem I see with it is that often, it would be nice to fly with three seats, and lots of cargo space. With the sling, it's four seats or two.

But, as you say, they are simple and easy to install/remove. Don't know if there are still any stc's around for them, either.

Are you aware of any?

MTV

skywagon jump seats

i have the factory seat option like stewarts and they are really handy when hauling cargo or 2 people and a lot of gear

I ran BAS seats in my 180. In fact I flew without cusions for years so they would pack tighter. Three people and a keg beside the rear seat, flew well 8).

The seats were comfortable for what they were, did the job, packed tight, moved out of the way easily, and were light. I would use them again today.

I have a set of seats out of our 185, good shape, light tan upholtry. Call if you are interested. Jim at 541-882-2225 in K Falls

like 20 years ago I made a set of the original cessna jump seats and put them in a 170 and got them approved... but not sure if thats doable anymore or not...?

If you don't use the back seats very much, the jump seats work really well, and as Dave pointed out, they will always be there when you need them.

That also translates that they will most likely be there when you don't need them too. Folded or not they still take up room and weigh the same.

If you really use the back seats, you might look into the Kenmore / 206 mid seat STC. As rear seats, they come out in about 30 seconds a piece. When you are using them you get the luxury of a real seat. When you are not, they are completely gone (weight and all) not just against the side. Best of all, if you get them upholstered at the same time as the rest of your interior, it all looks 'right' instead of like an after thought.

Take care, Rob

Steve,

Those are what are referred to earlier as the "BAS seats". BAS apparently sold the STC to these folks. They are indeed great seats.

MTV

Actually, they sold it to a guy in Tennessee and he sold it to them. They work great, but I tell my PAX to bring a couple pillows to sit on for long trips.

sj

Anyone ever added shoulder restraints to the second row seats in a Skywagon?

SB

There are anchors for shoulder restraints in most, if not all, of the early 180's. Some may have been removed. The anchor is a nutplate in the bulkhead. There is an aluminum "strap" that goes to the next bulkhead back to reinforce the bulkhead/nutplate. On the exterior of the a/c the location is evident because the standard rivet spacing is changed to include 3 number 5 rivets in close spacing at the "strap" area. This is the bulkhead supporting the aft door-sill of the baggage door.

I'd love to see someone put it to use. I'll start checking into this. DAVE

My spare 1960 and prior 180/182 IPC (illustrated parts catalog) is kept at home, where I am at this moment.

It shows the part I described as "applicable to all".

I may be near my late-model 180/185 IPC some time today. I'll see if it lists similar for the late models. D

Stewart,
I received a set of shoulder harness belts from someone who had installed the BAS harnesses in the front. They work great in the 74 Skywagon. You also have nutplates in the top front of your extended baggage that are applicable to putting shoulder harnesses in for the 5/6th seat passengers if you have that installed. I am a great believer in the shoulder harnesses. Try to stay on the lookout to pick up the traded out front harnesses so friends can put them in for their rear seat pax.

Thanks, Matt. So I assume you had to switch out the standard lap belt with the one that went with the shoulder strap? My old single chest strap had a pin that locked into the male end of the lap belt. I think I'll take some measurements and have Hooker make me something up with their standard seaplane end fitting for the chest strap. I don't know why I never thought about this before.

Stewart

will the hooker belts at stoddards be right length? they are black....

I'm looking for some 206 mid row seats, might trade some Cessna jump seats.
Mike
918-785-6077

Stewart, post some pictures once installed. My 182 has rear seat diagonal shoulder harness, but they don't work well. When I put the bass inertia belts in up front, I moved the old Cessna shoulder belts to the rear. But they don't adjust well back there, and pretty much don't get used. I was thinking of having something made up. Russ

Looks nice. I wonder if they can make an inertia reel that bolts up there. That way back seat passengers can lean forward, move around etc. My kids in the back are always moving around, and they didn't like the fixed length chest crossover. The other problem is the original Cessna chest crossover has the little round pin that hooks in the seat belt buckle. It is difficult to undo it, particularly if there is tension on it. I didn't like that idea in case of emergency water egress. The no-handed seaplane end is a much better solution. Thanks.

Back