• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wing Cost

PA18project

Missoula MT
If I seem a little confused ... its because I am.
When I look over the price lists for various wing kits for an experimental supercub the prices appear as if they vary from as low as $4,000 upwards of $15,000.
The low end appears to be those wings without flaps such as those supplied by Wag Aero. Obviously, those are truly set up for a J-3 style aircraft but I guess for the sake of discussion I am including the super sport trainer in my price listings. Im not really sure why the wings from Wag could not be converted for safe use with flaps now that I think about it.
The higher end appears to be wings manufactured by Dakota and Smith and it seems those are often in a quick build form.
I dont have any idea what D & E gets out of a set.
I am interested in a wing with flaps but really dont know where one starts with so many options and such large price variations.
I guess anther option would be for one to use wings from a pacer or colt but on that front I have done no real research at all.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Brand "W" wings are all WOOD. Each rib has to be built up from smaller pieces of wood.

A bag of wood pieces cost less than stamped or built up, completer ribs.

Nothing wrong with wood wings, airplanes have been built this way since the Wright brothers.

John Scott

Look at Wag Aero and D&E wings and then Dakota. You will see why Dakota's are certified and more expensive. The lesser expensive ribs I have seen are thinner material and require some fluting or shrinking to get them to stay straight. Some wings use drag/anti-drag wires like Piper while Smith and others use aluminum compression tubes.

Thanks

Thanks steve. I apparently have a lot to learn. I didnt realize anyone used compression struts. It makes a lot of sense but that shows how far I have to go. Certainly looking for non-certified and a little extra work is fine. Just want to be safe. Thanks again.

Brad

Brad

The wings from DE are a kit, to the best of my understanding, whereas the wings from Smith are built and the same for Dakota I think. Lots of difference in the amount of time and effort involved.
You might keep that in mind.

Bill

The first two Legend Cubs had D&E wings on one and Wag Aero on the other. They now build their own with their own spar extrusions and ribs that they make like Dakota's. They also use drag struts like the Smith wing. I called them compression tubes in my previous posts. If memory serves me correctly they likes the D&E wing better than the Wag Aero. Maybe Pat will chime in here.

Hi PA18Project,
Welcome to SC.org. This has actually been discussed quite a bit in the past. The Search link at the top of this page is your friend and I would recommend giving it a try.

I am building a D&E wing and there are a bunch of other fellas doing the same. They are a very good value if you are willing to build up yourself. They are good for 2000lbs GW without any mods because their spars are a few mils thicker than stock. The new D&E is in the process of getting their Taylorcraft wing certified. The Cub wing is around $7K (call for latest price) which includes flaps and aileron materials. It will cost you around $20K for the same with Dakota.

Here is a recent discussion on all the wings that I found in search:
http://www.supercub.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10538

Also take a look at my website for more info on D&E wing.

Good luck!

Not all Wag-Areo wings are wood. They do sell a kit that is all aluminum and similar to D&E and Smith. Most of Wags plans call for wood wings that I have looked at.

Matt

Thanks for the replies. I am familiar with the search function but appreciate the heads up. It still seems to me that the price range is anywhere from 4K to 15K. Seems like it depends on whether one wants to build (which I do) and some other, as yet determined variables. It appears most of the unassembled wing kits come without flaps or aelerons which of course are extra. I guess Im like most people, trying to get the most bang for my buck without making too many neophyte mistakes. Thanks again for all the help.

nuts and bolts

delete
Sorry, wrong place! still learning this "puter thing!

Back