• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

One piece lower tail brace wire tabs

Dan2+2

Paducah, KY
I was reading Mark Draths article in cubclub about the tailbrace wire tabs. It seems there was a SB about making these one piece on 150 hp cubs. My wagaero plans show it as two tabs so that is what I did. Has this been a common failure point in the past? I believe I will redo it anyway but was curious about the past history.

Dan
Good timing on your question. I had planned on welding the two tabs on my 2+2 fuselage tonight. I guess I will hold off until I hear what others might know. Anybody know the best approach here, single piece tab or the traditional two tail brace wire tabs?

Marty

Airframes Inc has a single piece tail brace plate bent to the correct angle at a reasonable price. I think it is worth doing. I added it when I upgraded my 105 fuselage for 160hp.

Darrel

I have always wondered about that area - what happens if something breaks in flight? Has it ever happened?

There is an A/D on that area - I think the easily-added doubler plate takes care of it; not sure.

The article says use .100 4130 and a square tubing instead of the round one. Also do not weld the top of the tab where it meets the side of the longeron as that creates a stress point. I would seal that some how though to prevent moisture damage.

I just checked Airframes Inc. The part goes for just a bit over $25 plus shipping. Looks like the way to go for my project. Thanks for the heads up.

Marty

I got mine from Northland before Earl passed on. Part NL80292R-00. It's on the Northland CD. You could fabricate easily if desired.

http://www.bushwhackerair.com/ was making Northland parts. Their web site says they shut down for a while. Not sure what that means.

Dan, which Cub Clues is that in?

Think of all the crap we drag those wires thru when on the ground, brush, snow, ice , small trees.. and some trees not so small. Luck would have it that if not flying inverted, the flight loads are on the upper wires. Bottom wire do keep everything somewhat straight and true though.

Back