• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wing Fences

Fortysix12

RanchAero Grand Vista, Brooksville
Anybody using them and are they worth it.

Building up a set of Wag Aero 2+2 wings for a supercub and looking to add them. Anybody have a pattern or a set for sale.

What do they do? I mean really! Fly the plane with or without them and I'll bet you won't notice a difference. No one puts them on any more. They were a goofy '70's thing. Crash

Improving flow over the airlerons and flaps at slow speed. Prevents wash out. Crosswinds STOL seem to think they are impportant.

I think by the time the air gets that far back on the wing, it's already made it's mind made up as where its going to go. Horton also put the same type of fences on their 180/185 STOL kit and now all the Cessna guys feel Horton is the "junk" STOL kit of the bunch. The Sportsman cuff is now the hot set up on a 180/185. Crash

Fences

Good morning Crash. What you say is no doubt true on your stock wings. But on modified slow flying wings the story is quite different. I tested the wings with and without them and decided to leave them on. For those of you who know what a stickler I am on weight will realize that for me to spend the 1 1/4 lbs they have to be there for a good reason. In some stall situations the old shake rattle and roll that you are used to in practice stalls just doesn't have time to happen. The fence tends to docile the stall just a little more and gives you added reaction time that you just might need if you are very low when it happens. :) Jerry

Wing fences

piperpa12 wrote

Jerry Burr's video showing his test of the fence is contraditory to Crash's opinion.

I've seen Jerry's video's of Gulkana...but never of his flight testing.(that I can recall)
Is there a link on the site? I can't seem to make the search feature work the way I want it to :(
I would buy one if there is one availiable.
Thanks
Randy

I don't think there is an STC for just the fences. Crosswinds STOL has them as part of their STOL kit, but I think you have to put the entire kit on to be legal, not just the fences. Jerry, do you know otherwise?

Take care!

Crash

Fences

I have a sent on my Dakota Cubs wings with the outboard rib being wood and they work for me.
Does make a difference with the stall like Jerry says

Thanks

legal

As far as I know Crash is correct on non-experimental airplanes. I think the original 2+2 question airplane is experimental. That's why I didn't comment to it. :) Jerry.

I used the 2+2 as a point of reference. These will be in fact a pair of modified supercub wings with a few exceptions. One, they will be wood, two they will have stock plus 2 inch longer flaps, three, they are the long wing design but the airleron does not go to the end of the wing(two plus two design).

Hence, the question.

I want to maximize controllablilty taking into consideration the wing I have to work with. This airplane is an amature built experimental. I have the full Roberston STOL on my 400 but dont know truely what or how the fences contribute to the flight dynamics. I know one thing, my STOL 400 does everthing better except a few knots of cruise.

So the next question. Jerry, what did you make them out of and how did you mount them inside the wing. I think I want to go to the trouble.

Control

Forty six. If control is your goal, why would you even consider not running the aileron clear out to the tip? Heck run it through the tip. Make it part of the tip. But don't leave plain ribs beyond the aileron and expect it to rock and roll. If you are building the wing from wood scratch the mounts should be no problem. Just pick up a pair of used fences. Jerry. :)

Back