• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Check-Ride Poem

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
It was the day of the Seaplane Check-Ride, the Pilot was shaky and nervous.
The Examiner asked all sorts of questions about how to keep Float-Planes in service.

The would-be float-pilot took a deep breath before he blurted out the answers.
Any more thought and he could have cured four or five cancers.

Finally down to the lake and the floatplane they went.
The Examiner smiling with sadistic glee, the would-be Float-Pilot looking half spent.

A stuck seatbelt, a flooded engine, and a checklist dripping with lake water.
Eventually they zigzagged out of the inlet, like a disoriented otter…

Step-taxis and plow turns, suddenly they all looked the same.
Who the heck was the CFI? He’ll soon get the blame.

A skidding climbing-turn past some tall trees and the Pilot thinks he’s doing real swell.
Meanwhile the Examiner writes a last minute note to his loved ones, as things keep going to hell.

The mistakes pile up, as they fly into deteriorating weather.
But once the Pilot figures he’s failed, he suddenly starts flying much better.

The Examiner says “Just one more good short landing is all that I ask.
Then get me back to the dock in one piece and I might let you pass.”

The would-be Float-Pilot passes by a huge lake and dives for a glassy pond the size of a dish.
Then blurts out the most feared words in aviation, “You asked for short?……
......Hey watch this!”

xx

The DPE in question said he was formulating a response. I wonder what that means.....

Alex:

You weren't even *there* when I had my check ride. What makes you think you know the whole story? I insist you stop having fun at my expense. You'll hear from my attorney!

Jon B.

good job Alex. Just work in a few more quotes. The DPE said, "Don't scare me or get my clothes wet and you might pass."

Also work in the part where you said, "You break it, you bought it!!" as the young Jedi float flyer is taxxing off.

Back