• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Montana antelope

T.J.

Alaska
Well, I just found out I got drawn for Antelope in Mt. If I can find the funds for the ripoff airfare, I'll probably be down there in Nov. I'll have to check the regulation book for the season dates before buying the ticket.
I will of course, take the time to visit with any friends who will put up with me. I'll probably drive the old RV from Ellensburg Wa. to Miles City Mt.
I guess I'll leave Ol Bear Dawg home with Mom. He is fast, but I doubt he can catch an Antelope!

TJ I had some antelope burger once and it was dayum good. I would have to shoot about two dozen of those to put up some meat for the year as far as Alaska standards go. Them things is fast, sleek and small. Aim about 100 yards in front of them if they are on the run. :lol: Oh, and take pics for us if you get one.

You can only shoot one speed goat. Do your old dog a favor, bring him and a scatter gun and go chase some birds while you are in MT.

Last fall I was heading across Nebraska and Colorado with the Cub. I was faced with an extreme headwind…as usual. At 5,000 feet with a ground speed of 25-40 mph things seem to get boring quickly. So, I went down and flew on the deck for pretty much the remainder of the trip. While doing so, I had my first encounter with antelope. Those suckers can run darn near 60 mph for a short period of time. Just think how fun it would be to hunt from a nice solid platform most of us know as a Cub! A rife probably wouldn’t be real helpful but a shot gun would work wonders… But then again, that would be breaking the law… :snipersmile:

Torch said:
Aim about 100 yards in front of them if they are on the run.

:lol: :lol: ain't that the truth. Or since these things won't jump a fence, just wait at the gate...

speed goats

TJ,
If you make it to Miles City to hunt the goats please stop buy again. Really injoyed
your last visit. Good hunting Wayne.

Wayne:
God willing, and the creek don't rise, I'll be down there the later part of Oct. I need to check out your Cub flaps you showed me last trip. I should stay home and work on my Exp, but a mans gotta get his priorities straight. My priority is hunting. I'll work on the Exp. this winter.
Don't know where I'll be hunting yet, but somewhere around Miles City.
Dave was nice enought to invite me to hitch the old RV to his place.
I'll keep you posted.
T.J.

Planes or hunting

TJ,
I know how it is, I've been on the projects 7 days a week but I snuck out the other
morning to go check on my Elk area. looking good and the archery season opens on
the 2nd of sep. See ya when you get here. Wayne

Whilst on very short final to our dirt runway Saturday, a family of four speedgoats jumped out o' the weeds and cut in front. Glad they were fast, and I didn't have to take evasive action.

Had variations of this over the years, including them jumping straight up ~2 metres in the air right in front of me.

And don't even get me started about the Jackalope population this year....

Might have to get some twin .30's mounted if this continues....

And last fall found a very blackened brass cartridge case with headstamp ".30WCF" This is now known as ".30.30" (Or perhaps turdy thirty in some circles), Now THOSE haven't been around for >75 years. It's fun to find this type of FOD in the grass. This was in the area of some 1875 wagon ruts.

Hope you ALL have great hunts, eh?

Thanks. cubscout

We love it when those out of State'er come down here and haul some of these Antelope away. It improves the smell of eastern Montana. Have at it TJ

Update:
Looks like I'll be in MT. Oct. 29. I'll touch bases with as many folks down there as time allows.

TJ I owe you a beer and a place to stay If you need one. Give me a call if you get into town. (406) 586-0588 Bozeman :D

Back