• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Eclipse in the Quad Cities

Tom

Bettendorf, Iowa
For the last three years, I have had the only PA18 hangared at the Quad Cities International Airport. We have lots of plasic planes, a few home builts but mostly larger (and of course, faster) aircraft.

I know several of the Control Tower folks and I have given them rides when things aren't too busy. As a result, there have been more than a few humorous comments about my (slow)cub coming from the tower. Like the day that I was climbing into a stiff wind and heard.... "38Z are you moving?" Or.... "38Z, do you have the geese in sight before they pull away "?

That was until a friend from two hangars down pulled up with a new (to him) red and white supercub (50Z)just purchased from Big Lake, AK. Yes, it's tricked out with 180HP, extended gear, extended baggage, and of course, new 31" Bushwheels.

Since then, I have been asked by the tower if 38Z will look like 50Z when it grows up? And, "did I miss the sale on tractor tires from Farm and Fleet"?

However, I heard the best one yet last Thursday evening when both of our cubs were shooting touch and go's in the pattern. Tower to 50Z...."50Z, we though that we were seeing a solar eclipse...now we see that it was just your tires blocking out the sun"!! I think one of the airline pilots spit out his coffee on that one!

Tom, great story! :)

I fly into Class C (around here) a lot. One time taking off, I heard departure saying to another plane, "Citation XYZ, there is a Piper Cub at your three o'clock at 2,200 climbing VERY SLOWLY !!!" And then there's flying underneath Class C and listening to them tell traffic that there is unknown traffic at 1,500. 8)

But I would have to say that I most enjoy climbing like a home-sick angel out of busy airports!!! :angel:

Back