• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

8:50x6 tubes?

CptKelly

GONE WEST
NC
Does anybody have any 8:50x6 tubes? I can't fine one for my Smith Kit.
Somebody said to use 7:00/8:00 tubes, but that doesn't seem right....or does that work ok?

Mike

I know a guy (wink, nudge) who used 7.00/8.00 tubes in his 8.50 tires. He even has the blessing of the guy who got the field approval for them.

This particular aircraft participated in the New Holstein short-field contest (but didn't win or place - he 'scratched' on his shortest landing). The highly-skilled operator landed it with the brakes applied and stopped quite short. The 8.50 tires are inflated to around 12 psi but stuck quite firmly to the rims. No valve stems were harmed in the event.

Jon B.

Take this with a grain of salt but I was at Oshkosh and talked to the Goodyear tire reps there and they said it was legal to use 8 inch tubes in the 8.50 tire but make sure they are???? Rubber or nitrile. Gee wizz old age is setting in. I can't remember the type of material he told me. But one was good and the other was not good. Something about it being able to stretch better. He also said one of the reasons they are having new ones getting made is the process by which they are "welded" together is hard to get done. They are made from a tube that is welded together and either the certification is hard or they are having problems getting them to stay together. Don't take all this per battem as I have probably gotten some of this screwed up.
Keith

Back