• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Strut fork

Ron B.

Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
What is the max. number of threads allowed to be visible, after the lock nut, on Univair's 5/8" ss main strut forks? I have their sealed struts, not heavy duty. I called Univair and they did not give an answer.
Thanks Ron

strut fork

if you dont get an answer here email Clde Smith he told us the max number at one of his seminars recently but i cant remember what he said oooops i wrote it down 15 threads is what he told us

Thanks Jay
15 threads showing is what a local builder found in the piper manual today for me. 7 should give the correct dihedral ( spelling) but 15 max. I have 11, so I'm still in the game.
Thanks again
Ron

I wouldn't be counting threads on the forks to get the dihedral right.

Stretch a piece of Spectra (spyder line, jet line etc.) fishing line from one wing tip light to the other and move it for and aft until it lies over the front spar. With the top wing root fairings off, measure from the line down to the front spar fuselage attachment fitting. It should be 3" + / - 1/8", on both sides, EQUALLY. You can't rig anything right until this is "dead nuts" on the money first. Take care. Crash

That's exactly what I did, and that is why I have eleven threads showing instead of the seven piper mentioned, but thanks.
Ron

strut forks

Can anyone tell me why it would be that my cub has about twice as many threads showing on one side as the other . ? ...Is this unusual ?....RC

strut threads.

1. It might be rigged incorrectly.

2. More likely, it took that differential to partially make up for a crooked airframe. I say partially, because, in my newly reinforced and growing experience, most airframes that are tweaked some can be rigged to almost compensate for the ills of the airframe, but nothing will come out better than a jigged true airframe, well rigged.

My 12, when I got it, had lots of thread differential, and when I got the fabric off, I had a lot better idea why.

(always participate in your own prepurchase due dilligence)......

strut forks .

Hyrdflyr , This was something I have heard but this airframe was built for me by Jim Soares at Rocky mountain Airframe when he still owned it .Not saying it is not possible but I feel it's unlikely .I'm going to check the Dyhedryl very carefully .Can always find something to mess with! ...Thanks ...RC

how many threads are on the forks?
my j3 has 21 on the front right and zero on rear right and 21 showing on left rear amd zero on front left . it flies great though

Question?

I have a question. Is that 15 threads to the jam nut, or to the strut barrel? Another question: How tight should the jam nut be?

Mike

that was a serious question.and it has a fresh annual and stuts and forks were checked last year i was just wondering

dlg,

Then accept my sincire apology! :D The situation you discribe seems so extreme it seemed to be chain yankn'!

I still think you should have the rigging checked. If I saw adjustments that extreme on a Cub I would assume something was out of whack. A complete rigging check and adjustment of the wings and tail should take a competent Cub mechanic less than half a day.

You don't list your location, so I can't suggest a mechanic. How much experience does the mechanic that signed off the annual have with Cubs? Maybe if you tell us where you are, we can suggest competent Cub help. 8)

And IF you think the Cub flies great, maybe a "seat of the pants" adjustment is in order too! :eek: :D

John Scott

forks

T.J. I measured the struts and they are right on. They were purchased from Univair - ordered from piper as factory new sealed ,ETC years ago . Going to check the dihedryl at the wing attach pionts .Could be that the dihedryl is correct but one wing is lower-heck! I don't know ? It does fly good though ,thanks ...RC

How long....

Guys,
Ok, 15 threads maximum. What are the lengths of the large and small PA-18 lift struts? I have one strut fork that has 17 threads showing. They are about twice the size of my old J3's forks, and I wonder if two threads is anything to worry about. My SC flys fine, as is.

Mike

Back