• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

7 GCBC Spar replacement

White City, Oregon
Do any of you guys know of where to get spars for a 7GCBC Citabria besides Milman (Aluminum at $4150.00) and Rainbow (Wood at $500.00 a piece). My customer would like to go with aluminum but the cost from Milman is a little high and new wings from American Champion is way high (over $18,000.00 a set plus core charges).

Figured I would ask here since the group here is full of the most knowledgable people I know.

Thanks

Brian.

GCBC Spars

I put Millman spars on my 7ac, you won't be dissapointed by the quality and workmanship, it was top rate. If you want to use wooden spars then try Rainbow or Wagaero. There is not much of a selection unless you want to go experimental.

Scott McBride

Owned a 7GCBC last year, and at the time the choices you list were the only ones I was aware of.

spar replacement

A friend I replaced my 7ac conv.wood spars w/millman spars, I also added new safe air 13 gal tanks,new leading edges,trailing edges,and about 6 or so new ribs,and with fabric and paint and rigging had about 7500.00 in the planeless than half for new champion wings and no more ad--well worth it and millman co. great to deal with even custom drilled for new tank installation.. the way to go in my opinion..

Whatever you do, be cautious about those gas tanks. We just pulled a brand-new ACA tank from a Decathlon - our local welder said it looked like they were just learning how to weld aluminum. Less of a problem for a Scout, but for the Dec, it is about 16 hrs. labor to remove and install a tank, and about 25 hours to recover and repaint the wing.

As soon as Milman does metal spars for the Decathlon, I think I will go that way. Are the Safe Air tanks any good?

had no problem w/tanks or spars they have been in survice for 5 or so years and probably 400 hrs now used at least half of the time on floats..but to each his own .when i did it it was the best way for what i could offord..also i have a friend with a 7ac who went with champion and if he wanted wing tanks had to either get the 18gl or none at all and also only offered squared off wings which i did not want..i had one 10gal tank in the rt wing before and it was 50 years old the 13gal tanks worked out nice ..also i should say mine was a 115hp conv champ so the extra fuel was nice while going into canada..

ps glad i have my cub now ...

I stated what I used for new parts to illistrate that if you don't need anything but the spars and recover it will be quite less in cost than mine did and also I guess I don't know if they are approved for decaths..
one more piece info my champ spars didn't have problems where the ad problems were mine were delaminating in both rear spars between wing root and strut attach points..

Impossible to comply with without completely uncovering the wing. But the feds say a bend-a-lite and mirror is all that is required. We back that up with fiber optics. Rainbow says they generally don't crack anywhere except near the lift strut attach point, and they supply a top inspection port for that area. Also they say the Decathlon spars do not have the same problems; they are thicker and not used where wingtip strikes are common.

I actually don't blame you for not doing those inspections. I only do them for me and one other person.

Well, it looks like we are going to replace with a wood spar from Rainbow due to cost considerations. Thank you all for your input. As for the Spar AD, we use an old medical boroscope that we bought for $200.00. Has a fiber optic light and the end can bend 2 ways. Also have a little grabber that can be fed through it to get those pesky bolts that drop into unreachable areas. 8) I am just glad the medical profession is real good at disinfecting their equipment ( I try not to think about what that thing was used for.... :toilet )

I have friends who need a spar or 2 (wood) for the 7AC they are rebuilding. Can someone supply contact information for "Rainbow"?

Does Aircraft Spruce not supply wood for spars anylonger?

Thanks,

John Scott

Longwinglover said:
I have friends who need a spar or 2 (wood) for the 7AC they are rebuilding. Can someone supply contact information for "Rainbow"?
Does Aircraft Spruce not supply wood for spars anylonger?
Thanks,
John Scott

John,

Rainbow will be at Oshkosh also. See below their post on our Citabria/Champ group list.

Nancie

"Re: Going to Oshkosh
Posted by: "Rainbow Flying Service" ronp@qosi.net rainbowflyer98837
Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:28 pm (PST)
Hi ngfitz My name is Ron I own Rainbow Flying service in Moses Lake Wa. I make all of the wood for the Citabrias Including the spars. I have a web site www.rainbowflying.com I will be at Oshkosh Sunday through Thursday I will attend the Bellanca Citabria frun on Thursday. Would like to meet you My cell phone no is 509 750 2327
-----

Back