• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Replacement seats for PA-18

roeloffs

I am in the process of refurbishing a 1963 PA-18/150 and want to replace the seats and / or the seat upholstery. I have heard that some of the offerings are not that well concieved and there seems to be a level of dissatisfaction with some products.
I am looking for advice on seat reupholstery or replacement.
Comments anyone?

I just finished ferrying Sam Beckett's SC from CA to KY in 25.5 hours of flight time. He had the Oregon Aero leather seats with low padding. Most comfortable Cub seat I've seen. It is a little wider than the seat in my SC, and allowed me to move around, and "spread the load" better. Didn't try the back seat, but my wife was impressed with the appearance.

Oregon Aero. If you care about comfort, that is.

There are some others out there that seem the same, and some folks claim they can build a seat cushion set as comfortable as Oregon Aero, but by the time you buy all the materials (as in way more than you actually need) and thrash around with it, are you really ahead?

Oregon Aero has done wonders with both comfort, and spinal protection in an accident.

MTV

I replaced mine with Oregon Aero and love them. They are much more comfortable than the originals. I went with the fabric rather than leather at their suggestion and am pleased with them. They told me tha the leather could make you sweat more.

John,

It's the weather that makes me sweat, not the seats :angel: . But, I think they gave you good advice in any case.

Came down to Fleming the other day for a fast visit to the FSDO to re-up my CFI. Good flight down, nice airport, lots of T-storms coming home, including one that parked over home till ten minutes or so prior to my arrival.

MTV

No question that the Oregon Aero are the best. Flew the Cub 700 miles right after we put them in and had nary a back ache or a butt ache! :D

seats and where to buy

Has anyone had any experience with airtex products? Look good on the net and 1/4 the price of oregon aero let me know
Kurt

14 hours in one trip on Oregon Aero seat and not a back-ache or anything. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely! :D

My Alaskan rebuilt -12 came with "fine-line" upholstery".. If I had to do it again, I would do the same. It is fantastic, nice looking, comfortable, and tough.

Oregon Aero leather seats!!!! I LOVE THEM. I would say I would rethink the leather. It does get "sweaty" in the humidity back here. I have thought of selling them for the price of new fabric ( about half) BUT the leather is cool and I like the smell in the cabin.

fine-line

I also have fine-line seats in my cub. I ordered mine without the memory foam and they are very comfortable. They were quite a bit less than O-A seats and I thought the workmanship was better.
Then number I have from about a year ago is 907-349-4442. Doug Dixon was the guy I dealt with.
Dave

I also must say YES to Oregon Aero seats. Expensive, but their service is something I've never seen anywhere. When I got the Oregon Aero seat, it was no comparison to the stock seat, but the snaps on the bottom part of the seat did not line up with the snaps in the Super Cub I fly. So I called them and returned it to them with a diagram of how the snaps needed to line up. I also asked them to switch it out to the thinner seat (I'm 6'2", right on the border). When they returned it to me, it fit in there perfectly, but now I have a thin bottom seat and regular seat back (I only returned the seat bottom to them) and it's not quite the same as before. So I talked to Tony at Oregon Aero at the risk of sounding whiny but he was super nice and told me to return it again and they're going to customize it for me. I have been very impressed with not only their seat, but more importantly their customer service. They go the extra mile.

Oregon Aero seats are great. I have fabric covered seats, and both front and back and the are very comfortable. Great service too.

Fine-Line seats are not only the most comfortable but prettiest seats made. The wildlife enforcement pilots in Alaska can have any seat they want, expense is not a concern (Tax Dollars). Their Cubs have Fine-Line Seats.

Hello ! Will be replacing seat upholstery/cushions this winter - new to the whole aircraft furniture thing. Can someone whose done this before, please enlighten me ?
Does an outfit like Fine-Line need the whole seat bottom/back at their shop to custom make the fit, or do they ship a set of pre-made stuff that you install to the seat bottoms/backs yourself ?
I've got 1954 stock S-Cub seats.
Any words o' wisdom welcome.
Thanks-Whitecub

AIRTECHS INTERIORS, MAY NOT BE THE BEST, BUT VERY NICE AND COMFORTABLE FOR THE MONEY. THEY FIT PERFECT!

I just got the Oregon Aero seats and love 'em! They fit on the seat frames perfectly and are about as comfortable as my recliner in the living room! Customer service was great. The only negative that I could see would be that they are expensive. In my opinion though, they are well worth the money. :D :D

Brian

I spoke to David Esterline at Oregon Aero, yesterday, in preparation for ordering new seats. He said that I should remove all of the springs, front and rear, and replace them with aluminum, plywood,or something (?). It would be quite simple to Adel clamp in some sheet, but I was wondering what would be the correct method and material to give me the adequate G-force margins and not add a lot of weight.

Ditto all said about the Oregon Aero seats and their customer service -- both top notch. I have seen some custom seats that were built up that were just as nice but it would not have been any cheaper for me -- steep learning curve.

My front seat is installed right on the stock frame with springs. During the re-build, we bead blasted and powder coated it. I installed the Atlee folding seat kit. Everything in mine is designed for wide butt middle aged pilots. It works just fine.

The back seat sits on plywood. It also works fine.

If you do the under seat battery, you are better off with the springs than a solid platform. From time to time, you need access to the battery. It is easy to unsnap the seat cushion and reach through the springs. [/img]http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//674/medium/JMB_20060416_212.jpg

John, thanks for the photo of the rear seat. Say, I bought the Cubcrafter seats a few years ago, am happy with them, but recently added the underseat storage mod in the rear. Problem....the Cubcrafter seat has an attachment coming from the leading edge of the seat, dropping down to attach by snaps to the floorboard. This serves the function of preventing things sliding along the floorboard, I think. At any rate, it is a real pain to have to undo the snaps from the floorboard to access the underseat storage. In your photo it looks as though you have a rigid piece extending from the leading edge of the rear seat support bar down to the floorboard. Where did you get this, or did you fabricate it??? Thanks.

Randy

If you use your springs, put some good canvas on before your cushions, I made mine and installed grommets like piper use to and tied them on. then if the canvas does ever wear through you can replace it and the cushions will still be ok. doug

I've already removed my springs, and I don't think I'd ever get them back in the holes. I have the plywood bottom for the back seat, but now I have to come up with something for the front seat bottom and back, as well as the rear seat back. Would prefer not to have to use plywood, because of weight, but not sure what will meet the requirement. I will be installing the battery under the front seat, so I guess it would be nice to have that cover hinged.

randlecorfman said:
In your photo it looks as though you have a rigid piece extending from the leading edge of the rear seat support bar down to the floorboard. Where did you get this, or did you fabricate it??? Thanks.

Randy

We made the seat bottom from plywood and installed the snaps on the underside in order to prevent the hassle you describe. You just lift up on the seat bottom. We also had to fabricate the underseat storage because my airframe is a wide body. We mad it out of aluminum and powder coated it.

seats

One thing to consider about memory foam, in the cold, your body heat will not soften or form it. One cub I flew for a 135 operator had OA seats and in the winter it felt like you were sitting on concrete....

Back