• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Maule tailwheel fork bushing

Ron Babos

Woodstock , Ontario
I'm in need of a new late model oilite bushing with the .875 bore for the regular 8" pneumatic Maule. Nobody seems to have any in stock and was wondering if somebody has one laying around they could sell me.
Failing that, how about a used one so I can take some of the outer dimensions and make one out of bronze.
It could very well be a normal off the shelf oilite bushing, but without a number I'm stuck. Thanks.
Ron

About ten years ago I got a new one for exactly that tailwheel. The bore on the new one was the same amount of loose as the one I was replacing.

Here's what I did - using a good acid flux, I plated the bore with 60-40 solder, then reamed it for a very snug fit with the tailwheel kingpost. I have to re-do it about every five years. It stops the shimmy cold!

Getting the solder in there means getting most of the grease out. Heat boils some of it out, but once the solder starts to adhere, it gets easier. Lubrication is not much of a problem - a light coat of grease on assembly seems to do it. Assembly should be tight, as in light force to get the parts together (hand force).

Back