PDA

View Full Version : J3 bungees

Wantabe
06-17-2006, 07:37 AM
How do you know when to replace the bungees on a J3. Currently when rocking the wing, it can touch the stops. Guess it's time, or is that ok on a J3. When have a difference of opinions here on the filed.

Thanks,
Larry

Longwinglover
06-17-2006, 10:29 AM
I guess I have to ask "How violently are you rocking he wings?" :o

If it's just a mild shake and you get to the stops, I think ou have your answer. When were these bungees put on? A competent mechanic can look at the color codes on the bungees and tell when they were made - just age will degrade them.

Changing them is a no brainer. If you do, be sure to take the shock struts apart and inspect them carefully for cracks and wear. And remember in the beginning with new bungees you wil be convinced the gear is welded!! :D

John Scott

bob turner
06-17-2006, 02:46 PM
When one "necks", all should be changed. In my opinion, changing them is a fairly difficult and dangerous task. Approach it with caution, and a tool designed for changing them. I modified an old Chevy bumper jack, but now there are special tools for sale.

I have never had a set go soft to the point where they would bottom out on normal taxi, and I have had lots of them "neck". I had all four neck on a memorable downwind takeoff when a whirlwind I didn't see caught up with me. Next landing was wierd, but not dangerous.

Remember, mis-handled, one of these bungees could kill you, or worse, hurt you very badly. When putting them on, ensure that both sides are stretched an equal amount when finally released on the ears. Use talcum powder, or some other thing to make them slide.

Opinion. bob

Snert
06-17-2006, 03:55 PM
I use KY Jelly when installing the bungee. It makes them slide easy and does not hurt the rubber. It also rinses off after they are installed.