• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What about a Bearhawk

skukum12

The Last Frontier
I've been getting interested in building a kit plane that has good utility. The usual characteristics of usefull load, speed, slow, taildragger. I keep coming back to the Bearhawk quickbuild kit. Anybody have any experience with this bird? I know I can test fly one in the lower 48, I'd like to see if I could fit in one comfortably before I get my hopes up. Admittedly, right now I'm only kicking tires, but it doesn't hurt to start early.

Any comments and criticisms are welcome.

There are a number of Bearhawk builders in the state. And a few quick kit builders. I am helping a friend of mine build one from scratch. Both wings are done and the fuselage is done. But now doing all the systems and engine work.

It is a great airplane. Not a cub --- but a fine kit or plans built machine. Pretty good builder support. I have not flown one yet but it is similar in size and set up to a Maule.

If you are interested in seeing the one we are doing I am sure my friend would love to show it to you. Send me a PM and I will get you his name and phone in Anchorage.

Joe--

Go find a M-7 and be done or, for the money find a nicely priced M5 and go exp (or not) throw on the A model wings and you will be $ ahead.

just my $.02 I have looked at the BH for a while and it is nice but ...

Besides as long legged as you are your gunna need to extend the seat rails and get a sky light anyways

barkerlongez,

sounds like an excellent plan, I'll pm you, thank you 8)

Yard Dart,

There are a bunch of planes I'd like to saddle up, but @ 6'8" I can't even get into some. Ex: H**ky, Stinson, standard width Cub, Widgeon. I squeezed into a Luscombe this weekend, my friend thought it was funny enough to take a picture! :lol: Hopefully I will fit, BH website says it has a 12" cg, maybe long seat rails.

Wup,

Is that really you pumping up Maules all the time? Have you gotten the flying bug? Remember, I had to ride backseat in the Maule on the trip to Lewiston, couldn't get them legs under the dash! :oops: :roll:

Where is Bronco Billy? I'm still waiting to take him caribou huntin'.

Years back EAA Sport Aviation wrote a great article about the plane. I wanted to build one but came to the realization I'm not a "Plans built" builder. The fast build kit seams like the way to go. The article also had flight review.

I spent a bit of time looking at it at SNF. Impressive. Superb quality.

The thing I like the most about the airplane is the fact that Budd Davidson is behind it. He's a real gentleman, superb pilot and a great writer. His name, time and money behind Bearhawk says a lot.

The BH is a good aircraft for what its intended purpose is. The fuselage is a standard rag and tube build, the wings are all alumn. with a lot of intricate hand made parts. The BH Patrol is a two seat BH with a different airfoil. The designer is soon comming out with a LSA aircraft which will be interesting to see. Bob Barrows builds them light and it reflects in the performance. If I was going to buy a quick build I would just buy a Maule instead and fly right away.

No contol sticks in the maule, I,m going to check out the Bearhawk, in Denver, on the 25. They impress me in print, and pictures. We will see how they look in person.

Matt

I have a couple of friends building Bearhawks. Looks to me like a Maule. Bigger inside than a Maule. Not a simple project to build. I think Barrows the designer over designed and engineered it in some areas and made it more complicated and labor intensive to build. Probably buy a good flying Maule for the same cost.

Back