• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

My first PA-18 experience--HOOKED for life!

crwesq

Leawood, KS (Kansas City)
I have always liked Cubs but like many things, I never really ever go around to flying one until recently. As background, Ive been fairly fortunate in life, I started Flying a K-35 Bonanza with my dad when I was 9 years old. From there, I have flown everything from hang gliders to King Air 200s (including helicopters). This spring my wife and I were in Anchorage so I decided to go float plane flying. There were several options available to me but I decided I wanted a Super Cub because, as I said, it was a plane I always wanted to fly and I couldn't see flying a C-172 on floats as being too great an experience. In any event, I found a Super Cub for rent on Lake Hood, made arrangements and in due course, we were taking off from Lake Hood in a Super Cub. We flew across the Cook inlet headed for Figure Eight lake (the lake is shaped as an 8). When we got to Fgure Eight lake a Beaver was using it for practice, so we chose a smaller lake adjacent to Figure Eight Lake. It was a beautifully sunny and clear day and when I took off, the instructor told me to use Mount Denali as my aiming point. Denali boomed big and bold on the horizon. I don't know how far Denali is from where we were, but it is not close. Nevertheless, it still stood out even though I think its close to 150 miles away (everything is vast in Alaska). I made six water landings that day and ironically, my first one was by far the best. The Super Cub had by far more rudder than the planes I was accustomed to and it got off the water fairly quickly (this I am guessing at because I haven't flown any other floatplanes--it seemed to get off much faster that Beavers, 180/185s, 206s and other planes I have watched). On the way back to Lake Hood, we flew very low and saw three Moose. Talk about your ultimate float plane flying experience! In the process, I fell in love with the PA-18 and I am planning to build an experiemental one. I live in Kansas (flat as a pool table and runways that stretch out forever), which is not exactly a place where a Cub is needed too badly. Anyhow, I liked the Super Cub, I got sick of mundane bonanza flying and can't really justify a "toy" helicopter. Seems like the Cub is a perfect blend of exciting and cheap (relatively) flying. I'm not going to put the Cub on floats as lakes in Kansas are about as common as huge gold nuggets and so I wouldn't have anywhere really to fly. Now I have to get my tailwheel endorsement as I have never really been in a taildragger and certainly haven't done take-offs and landings when I was in one. Yes, this summer I'll be 42 and flying the Super Cub made me into a love sick puppy dog panting for more. Nice to know I can still be that way after all this rational mature adult life. I have toyed with the idea of getting a Super Cub in the past (I remember the day when $18K would buy any Super Cub on the market). Now it is no longer something I am thinking about. I am new to Supercub.org and the members have been great even though I am sure some of my questions about building must seem incredibly juvenile to people with Cub building experience. Everyone has been very helpful.
P.S., looking for Super Cub components (e.g. fuselage, wings, etc.) for my project so e-mail me if you have any leads.

hooked

All cubs should be labeled like a pack of cigarettes---esecially super cubs---------Warning -Flying a supercub can induce an INCURABLE case of "CUB FEVER' I've been aflicted for over 30 years and still get excited when it's cub flying time---even in my PA-12. Growing old is manditory, growing up is optional...... Just had a real nice 45 min. flight and topped it off with a nice ride home on the old 69 Harley..Life is good.

I know just how you feel. We have a tricked out Mooney and a tricked out Super Cub. I am having a hard time staying current in the Mooney because every time I have time to fly, I want to fly the Cub.

I can't really afford both and am very torn. The Mooney has a lot more utility for me but just is not as much fun -- will probably sell the Mooney.

What I want to know is, how come the armed forces don't teach the first 20 hours in a Super Cub?

I always recommend a hundred hours in the Cub prior to doing anything serious (like getting a 180).

This thing called cubitis is like a heroine addiction. A person thinks about it all the time, and while you are getting your flying fix, you are already thinking of the next time.

I took a buddy fishing yesterday and landed on the beach. I practically forgot why I came because all I wanted to do was go land twenty more places.

There is no cure and the DT's are intense, ask anyone on this site who has sold their cub.

When it comes to flying Super Cubs I always quote the lady in the movie Showgirls, "It doesn't suck." You think Super Cubs are fun? Wait til you fly one on floats. Float flying is the absolute best.

hooked

Amen Torch ......

Hadn't had mine on floats for a couple years do to circumstances beyond my control, but........ its a beautiful morning, I think I'll take her and the 2000's for a ride.....sure is great to have her back on the water !!!

I gave some supercub ribs to a friend at New Richmond several years ago for his rebuild. Upon completion he had his cub on floats and allowed me the thrill of float flying. What fun !!!

Back