• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

180 Tail Wheel Lock

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
That "other" airplane forum was at one point talking up the wonders of a locking tailwheel. I don't have one on my 180 (or my supercub :lol: ) but wonder what the 180 drivers on THIS site feel about tailwheel locks.

Thanks!

sj

I have a lock on my 185, which was a factory installation. In 17 years, I've never used it. Only one time, I should have. Landing at Terrace B.C. some years back, the wind was blowing 30+ or something. Terrace has a triangular layout with 3 runways at 60* angles and I was able to land directly into the wind, no problem. but when I had to taxi to the parking, it was very much a crosswind. I did about 3 ground loops just getting to parking. Had I engaged the tailwheel lock I think I would have made it with 2 or less. I know I took a lot of rubber off the downwind tire as I was on that brake hard. Another problem with the tailwheel lock is the fact that it's spring activated. More than once, the clamp for the spring tailhold has come loose, locking the tailwheel and it's damned near impossible to make a turn.
85Mike

My airplane has one which has been disabled since I've owned the plane. I've never had the urge to enable it and have never had any experience that indicated it would be helpful.`

My big-tailed '75 180 is a carbon copy of a 1975 185. My tailwheel steering cable tension is considerably tighter than that of the same year 185. When I first installed my big tailwheel my steering response was awful. Upon investigation my mechanic found the cable tension set to the 185 specs, which had never been an issue with a small tailwheel. A tailwheel lock might be nice if you flew a late model 185 with a big tailwheel and had long crosswind taxis.

The rudder on a 180/185 is surprisingly effective. If not, spin the fan faster and it will be. :D

Stewart

One place they really come in handy: when you let maintenance slide, and the tailwheel starts to shimmy, they stop that cold. Flew a 185 a couple years ago with just that problem!

The Scott is as good as they get, but everything inside needs to be pretty tight - including that king post, that seems to work loose from the top casting. X-P Tailwheels seems to have all the right parts.

The 180 without tailwheel lock can survive some pretty awesome crosswinds! Good thing Cleveland brake linings are not terribly expensive.

Have you had some exciting landings in your new toy, Steve? :lol:
My partner in the 180 said he never used the lock in the 180/185's, but the tail wheel lock did come in handy in the DC3's, I don't think the engines ever spooled up together. I have never used one, or wanted one in the 180, although I can see how it would come in handy in the Xwind taxi situation. I too have a late 180 with the big tail, and it seems to go in the direction that you point it. :lol:
I always wondered, if the tailwheel was locked, and the plane was suddenly going in the wrong direction, what happens next?

I don't use my lock.Lot's of guys who run a ski on the tailwheel use them just on skis when landing on pavement (wheel penetration tailski).

Have flown 185's & Beech 18's with tail wheel locks and found them unnecessary. If you're paying proper attention you won't miss not using a lock.

The only time I found one useful was on the Beech with a long straight taxi in a high crosswind. It'll reduce your taxi workload some under those conditions, but heck I enjoyed "flying" that bird all the to the wheel chocks anyway.

Thanks for the input, folks! Sounds like I won't bother putting one in.

sj

I echo the sentiment that you will find them helpful for eliminating shimmy with a tailski on pavement, or for the use of the 'wonderful' XP-mods big tailwheels.

Yesterday I had yet another 185 driver let me know the limitations of his big tailwheel:

first: "...It won't steer well, and in flight the tailwheel won't let the rudder center well..." (The pivot preload is too tight)

then: "...when I loosen the preload so I can steer, the thing shimmies..."

followed by: "...sure looks cool, though. And it rolls over the bigger rocks nicely and doesn't sink all that bad in the very soft sand..."

This guy doesn't have a tailwheel lock. A tailwheel lock would help eliminate the shimmy part of this scenario.

Stewart, how have you found a happy bearing-preload-medium with the big XP tw?

Thanks, DAVE

Dave,

The one primary characteristic of my XP tailwheel is that when the preload is set to be managable, it likes grease. If you let it go it'll start to shimmy. Sometimes when you think the preload is too tight some grease will solve that issue as well. Tell your guy to grease it often and see if it helps.

I've had two shimmy events. One with a Magnum tail ski on my 8" Scott and one with my 14" XP. Both were on abbreviated approaches as directed by the tower for traffic flow and both landings were too fast. The one with the XP was on 32 at AIA (when they were grading Z41) and I'd guess the heavy drivers that were all lined up waiting for me got a good laugh out of it. It shimmied so hard I thought I was losing parts. My face was probably the same color crimson as the plane! But I recovered well and taxied off on the wrong taxiway, which drew a public scolding from ground control. What a doofus.

Stewart

Dang tower controllers :bad-words:

Just curious, do you guys prefer not to do short approaches?

kase,

I don't usually mind, but that time I had just come from another airport from an annual and weighing, and had no charts, no supplement, and no frequency sheets. I was behind the curve from the start. I can land at Hood with my eyes closed but I got to tell a tower controller that's seen my airplane and heard my voice for 10 years that I was "unfamiliar" with Anchorage International so they'd provide me the frequencies and treat me like a lost child while I was then diverted from Lake Hood to International with an unfamiliar arrival to a runway that looks longer than some of my flights are while several heavies sat waiting for me to get the hell out of their way. The whole deal was an episode of "how not to execute an arrival".

After I took a turn onto the wrong taxiway the controller asked me to stop and look left. She asked if I could see the 206 that was about 100 yards from me. When I said yes, she directed me to follow him, since he KNEW what he was doing (that's the abridged version). It wasn't my proudest moment.

Stewart

Stewart, thanks for the greasy tip.

With your description of your arrival and taxi, I can feel the shame. "...I got to tell a tower controller that's seen my airplane and heard my voice for 10 years that I was "unfamiliar" with Anchorage International..."

That's a tough one. Good on 'ya for sharing this.

We've all heard the tower controllers have a bad day, so at least we can smile at that.

Thanks again for the greasing tip.

DAVE

I've

Dave,

The last couple of times I've landed in crossing winds I've dropped the tail a bit sooner than usual. I felt a slight shimmy coming on, which I arrested by putting pressure on both rudder pedals at the same time. I can't explain why it works, but it does. Just another tip for your customer.

Stewart

Thanks, Stewart.

I put a BabyBushwheel on an early 180 the other day. We'll see what comes of it. I sure love it on the -14, the Husky, and all the -18's.

Dave,

I like the "tilt" on the BB fork. Look at an XP and the fork stands almost vertical under the hub. The BB leans back considerably. I'd think ground handling would be better with the tilt, but leverage on the hub would be a bit greater. Pros and cons. My biggest pro for the XP is that it's paid for and installed. :D

SB

I'd like to echo Stewartb. I asked him last year about the big XP tailwheel and everything he said was right on. I have a lock which I very seldom use also, but crosswinds where the wheel isn't straight with the world on touchdown seem to promote a shimmy. Same conditions with the tailwheel lock on there isn't so much as a hint of a shimmy, with the rudder in. The problem is my leg muscles aren't big enough to get a lot of rudder in with the lock on. Another problem is because of the infrequent use, I tend to forget its on and then the embarrasment of almost missing the taxiway when trying to exit is tough.

Back