• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Any good biplanes for sale?

jnorris

Wisconsin
Hey gang,

I'm currently in the market for an antique biplane. Anybody know of any GOOD airplanes for sale? I don't want a project, basket case, ratty ramp rat, or anything that needs work. I want to buy and fly. I'd be specifically interested in a Waco, Great lakes (with round engine only), or something similar (not a Boeing Stearman).

Let me know if you know of anything!

Joe

There's a nice looking Fleet for sale on Barnstormers for 50K. Not a bad price for that vintage.

jnorris said:
Hey gang,
I'm currently in the market for an antique biplane. Anybody know of any GOOD airplanes for sale? I don't want a project, basket case, ratty ramp rat, or anything that needs work. I want to buy and fly. I'd be specifically interested in a Waco, Great lakes (with round engine only), or something similar (not a Boeing Stearman).
Let me know if you know of anything!Joe
Joe
Fellow at my airport may have something (G. Lakes) and is close to finishing a Bucker I believel. I'll be out sampling for a few days but if you're interested let me know off list and I'll check with him when I return mid next week.

SuperUrsus said:
What is your budget?

It depends on the airplane. I'm not setting any hard limits, but I have a "soft" target of $135,000 for the upper limit.

Joe

arecit said:
Fellow at my airport may have something (G. Lakes) and is close to finishing a Bucker I believe.

I'd be interested in the Great Lakes if it has a round engine on it, especially if it has a 165 Warner installed. Let me know what he has when you get a chance.

Joe

Why a Great Lakes and not a Stearman? I have gotten to fly both, and I think the Stearman is much nicer!! Great Lakes is hard to get into (cockpit is tiny, the panel is in your face), seat is not adjustable and you sit way too low so you can't see crap when you are trying to land!

I wouldn't buy a Stearman unless it was dirt cheap and I couldn't pass it up. There are so many other vintage biplanes out there for less money and way cooler.... A Great Lakes with the inline Ranger or Cirrus is just plane gorgeous to me :Gsoppy:

I mean how cool looking is this:

AirTrailsGreatLakesarticle_Page_1_I.jpg

There has been a Stampe for sale on Barnstormers for awhile that is over in Alabama. Guy keeps lowering the price, maybe you could get a deal Joe. Its a really fun airplane to fly too....did a ribbon cut in one once and the control harmony was to die for.

---Edit----

Let me be more specific about the Stearman, I meant a PT when I said that. A Cloudboy or one of the early 3- or 4- series would be the cat's ass and I would jump on it in a heart beat!

Christina Young said:
Why a Great Lakes and not a Stearman?

Hi Christina,

I don't have anything against Stearmans. I've flown both Stearmans and Great Lakes (and several other antique biplanes), and they all have their strong and weak points. I'd just rather have something other than a Boeing Stearman. Now, a model 3 or 4 (square tail) Stearman is a whole different story. I'd definitely be interested in one of those!

As with all things, each to their own. For me, Boeing Stearmans need not apply. :)

Joe

A friend once told me that a Warner powered airplane is an Okay Lakes, not a GREAT Lakes. I've only flown in one, and it was pretty anemic, climb wise, compared to a 180 hp Lyc powered one.

MTV

Steve Pierce said:
The Great Lakes I flew was a real sweet, well balanced airplane.

I concur Steve. I've flown a couple different Great Lakes, and they were both really sweet planes.

Joe

jnorris said:
Christina Young said:
Why a Great Lakes and not a Stearman?

As with all things, each to their own. For me, Boeing Stearmans need not apply. :)

Joe

Ah, yes, None of the High Brow OSH crowd could ever be seen in something like a dirty old lowly Stearman..... That replica WACO with the 300 Jake was for sale a while ago, great airplane for the $, don't know if it ever sold but I could check. Don't know of anything else on this side of the puddle.

from a parts and maintenance perspective, you cant beat a stearman. It is an honest airplane to fly and a great training platform for acro. Its slow and not as responsive as some but your mistakes will not be hidden. An excellent trainer..... :)

Ahh the Bird. Now that gents is an airplane. After Charles Lindbergh became the most famous person in the world he had basically free access to any plane he desired. What better advertisement for an aircraft manufacturer than to have Lindy flying your plane! Well, Charles chose the Bird to teach his lovely wife, Anne Morrow, to fly. That gents about says it all.
"After you fly a Bird you will throw rocks at Waco's and TravelAires."
So say Dick and Jeanie Hill, of antique aircraft renown, owners of a J-2 and an E-2 Cub, among others.
I've not had the pleasure of flying a Bird but it is very near the top of my list.

Good Luck Joe

Bill

Give John Conoyer (sp?) a call down at Creve Coeur. He had a couple of Waco's for sale, from memory it was like a BSO and an ATO or something like that. This is in addition to the couple of Monocoupes he had/has. It was all in T-A-P.

John Cournoyer, and the ATO had a 975 on it. :eek:

There's a modern (1976) Great Lakes with a Lyc for sale at Peachstate. It's just coming out of a recover and looks spiffy.

But a Bird or a Fleet, those are some nice airplanes.

nkh

Canadian Plane Trade has a 1948 Stampe SV4B for sale, 4690 TT, ex Belgian Air Force with a Gypsy Major in it. It is listed for $69K.

If you want to impress folks with your airplane at airshows, the Stearman will do fine. If you'd like to go a little faster, roll a lot better, and do a loop from cruise flight without adding power, a 180 HP Great Lakes with four ailerons will do it - on little more than half the fuel cost. Stearman is loads of fun, and is about as easy to land as a Cub. Great Lakes is easier to land; a little like the Aeronca. GL's do not usually draw a crowd like the Stearman.

Back