• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fed-Ex charged me $95 to send a rifle out of state!!! WTF

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
So I head on down to Fed -Ex to make a shipment to an FFL.

Usually about $48 for two day shipping from Alaska to Texas.

But, the new guy there acts all weird about the box. Then he sees that the receiving FFL has an obvious firearms name in the address. So even though the box does not really look like a rifle box anymore (two hours of packing it in foam),
I tell him the truth when he figures out what it is...

Then he proudly proclaims that Fed-Ex does not want this "stuff" in their system any longer than possible.

So he says that I can't use the two day shipping like I have been doing, but that the box MUST go Fed-Ex priority overnight to Texas.

The cost: $95.61 with $500 of insurance.

Has anyone else run into this???

Or is this guy blowing smoke up my Tepee???

If he is, I will be filing a complaint...

Alex,

When I was an FFL (15 years ago) I always shipped UPS or USPS insured. Never had any problem with either.

USPS Priority is subsidized to/from Alaska. That was the determining factor for us when we got a shipping system for calendars, etc. You can move things pretty cheap, there is a weight limit, but the parcel stuff is reasonably priced and they are doing a much better job than they used to. Insurance and tracking are both available also.

sj

The local UPS drop off office will not take shootin irons. Anti Gun folks...or something..

I sent a six-shooter a couple weeks ago and Fed-Ex was $10 cheaper than UPS. $38 vs $48

Nobody asked what was what on that deal...

Alex Clark said:
The local UPS drop off office will not take shootin irons. Anti Gun folks...or something..

Alex, Use USPS (the post office) not UPS. I've had good luck with the postal service shipping firearms (rifles and shotguns) over the years. Not sure how they treat handguns though.

I had a prop shipped from Chugiak to Kansas, FEDEX. Took almost a month. They said they couldn't track it since it was sent 'ground', UPS can track their ground shipments.
Every time I called the delay was due to 'technical difficulties'. They didn't know where the package was nor could they check.

Don't ship FEDEX GROUND.

Alex:

The guy screwed you!

Generally speaking, only handguns have to go overnight via FedEx and UPS. They were having too many stolen - usually by employees - when shipping by ground. The fewer hands that touch them, the better.

The others are right on track - take it to the Post Office. I had an AR-15 shipped to Minnesota from the east coast for under $25.

Also, the FFL is a moron for having you use the words "arms", "guns", "firearms", etc. in the ship-to address. It's a sure-fire way of having the package 'lost'.

Jon B.

I NEVER use FedEx...had them call to tell me that some mail overnighted to me was "at the gas station".... well it was...but the gas station was 150 miles away. R

I ship almost weekly with FedEx Ground. Been doing so for almost two years. NEVER had a problem. I do avoid one particular agent though. Everyone else will "remeasure" if the package is slightly oversized and allow me to hold the end of the tape measure. UPS locally is usually more expensive and their employees are down right rude. Never used USPS but got burned on a "priority mail" thing a while back and don't have much use for them. I'm not shipping weapons so maybe that's a whole different deal.

THE FED-EX Policy:

Firearms

FedEx Express can only accept and deliver firearms between areas served in the U.S. under the following conditions: (1) you agree to tender shipments of firearms to us only when either the shipper or recipient is a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer or licensed collector and is not prohibited from making such shipments by local, state or federal regulations; (2) the shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable state law.

Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. or with a signature release.

Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx is required to notify the FedEx employee who accepts the package that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.

You also agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the samepackage. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.

Back