• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Homebuilder's Blues

PA-10

Jacksonville, Fla.
Yesterday was not a good day of building.

I'm thoroughly enjoying building my J-3 replica. It's a Light Miniature Aircraft model LM-J3-W (www.lightminiatureaircraft.com) and I have about 480 hours into the project with tail feathers, fuselage, seats, and landing gear pretty much complete.

I just hate it when you get 99% finished with fabricating a part, and the one ingredient you need to complete it fails on you.

I fabricated two tiny clip angles to replace parts that I had made months earlier, incorrectly as it turned out. Aluminum angle, cut and drilled. Two hours of various tasks (measuring, etc. You know how it goes.) I get the parts ready to zinc chromate, and grab the fresh, never-opened spray can. The plastic cap is, as usual, far too securely attached to remove without tools and/or percussive action. Not unlike opening a brand new compact disc.

After much struggle, I eventually get the cap off, and the spray nozzle plummets to the shop floor and immediately rolls under the work table like a terrified rat seeking safety. With the clutter of unused material, dust, sawdust, venomous spiders, and things I don't even want to know about lurking in this nether region, I am not about to go fishing for the nozzle. I grab my empty can of zinc chromate and yank the nozzle off of it. This nozzle worked and was clear within the last 24 hours, so there's no reason it should give me any trouble.

I step outside, and with old nozzle on new can the act of gently pressing the nozzle into the hole causes the can's contents to immediately begin dousing my hand with unshaken paint. It's bypassing the nozzle and fanning out like a lawn sprinkler. Like a hand touching a hot stove, I yank the nozzle off. Then I attempt numerous re-nozzle-ostomies, but none take. The can rejects the tissue. Finally, I try brute force. With a paper towel (I do learn from mistakes) held over the business end of the can, I mash the nozzle in. Newly liberated paint enjoys its sudden freedom and seems intent on showing me its gratitude by smothering me. The towel is quickly soaked in green as well.

With the nozzle firmly in place, I discover that it will not resume the "off" position. Zinc chromate is filling the springtime air of the back yard, choking the birds and squirrels. In disgust, I throw the can onto the concrete and walk inside..

So now I have a thick comet-shaped patch of green paint on the driveway in front of the garage that will one day leave archaeologists scratching their heads.

I have to say that your unfortunate experiences of yesterday garner my greatest empathy as I just came in from working on my project. You show great promise as a writer of exasperating experiences which in this particular case has accomplished at least two things. A) Reminded me that I'm not the only one . . . B) Caused me to :lol:

I wish you a better tomorrow and remember in 5 or 10 years you won't remember it happened.

Thanks for your kind words and empathy.

Another delightful experience is procuring AN hardware. A.S.S. was fresh out of the AN6- bolt I need to hold on the tailwheel spring. I went to a local engine shop that stocks all the AN hardware to buy one, plus a handful of other stuff. I don't normally go there since it's a half hour drive, I don't go that way for anything else, and he closes for lunch. His shop is run more like a hobby than a business.

The total came to about $3. Because I had no cash on me, I whipped out my debit card and the guy said, "I can't take that for such a small order! The processing fee is 35 cents!"

Feeling like a dork, I told him I could run up the street and get cash, but he had what I thought was a better suggestion.

"Just pay me next time you come in."

I asked for a receipt or something so I'd remember how much it was, and because I don't want to be a jerk about not paying for $3 worth of stuff. He scribbled something quickly on a piece of paper, and went back to the shop to breath some more MEK.

Back