• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Dearly Departed Window Frame and Univair

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Well, here goes. When giving a demo ride to a potential purchaser of my J3 yesterday, I was demonstrating the handy clamato widow system and had just closed them (I being in the front). I then demonstrated how the handy slipstream automatically opens the handy clamato windows at which point faster than you can say "Holy Hinges, Batman" the top of the door disappeared. It did not linger, it did not hit the tail, it just flat vanished. We looked around in some farm fields or for the obvious car off the side of the road with a yellow frame sticking out the front window, but did not find it. Moments later, I told the guy "it comes with a new window"....

Meanwhile, I do a little search on Univair's website. Now I have not been to Univairs website in quite a while and MAN HAVE THEY UPDATED IT! It really has a slick new intererface. You should check it out.

The point of all this being, does anybody have the part number for the upper cub window? The hinges are still there as the hinge rivets sheared. Anybody got one of these window frames laying around in their garage?

Thanks!

sj

P.S. If this guy does not buy it, the J3 will be for sale in the classifieds soon.

I think I have one Steve. Will let you know when I get to the shop. We are headed to Lone Grove to retrive a Champ.

Gidday Gidday Steve,

What a small world it is. I was just checking out Univair's site a few minutes ago for sliding windows and was surprised to see you looking at them as well. I agree with you that the site is pretty cool isn't it?

This is probably not what you're looking for but on the windows pdf form page 150 they have a door window listed for J-3s, part number 10051-000. http://univairparts.com/pdfs/window_shield_raw.pdf

Cheers

part #

SJ,
let me know if you still need the part #. I've got a brand new univair frame in dads garage I can check.

PS- I'll be in Lansing tomorrow evening(Sun.) at Johnechingus'

Steve,
Your door may yet still show up. The previous owner of my J3 let a local farmer-pilot fly it just to keep it active. The top window flew off. No damage either to the tail! He returned to his private strip and a day later another farmer found it and knowing his flying neighbors, returned it. It was undamaged except for the hinges!
Jim

Thanks, folks! Dave, I could use the part number I do have a number of offers of frames laying around. Give us a call!

Oldcuby, here's hoping someone does NOT associate with me if it went through their kitchen window... :eek:

sj

Piper PN....
Door Assembly, upper..... SN 18-1 to 18-231 PN 12256-00
SN 18-232 and up, PN 12256-10

Man, the wind never stops blowing in OK. Sorry Steve, got the Champ back but forgot to look for the door. If I can sneak out tomorrow morning before the Easter Bunny I will check.

No hurry, seems I need a few other paperwork related items also...

sj

Sometimes when I'm doing an under the cowl inspection I'll fine a nut, bolt, screw or other piece of the engine (nothing important so far, thank God) that has come loose and departed in flight and I can't help but thinkin': 'man that would sure hurt if it hit someone in the head from 2000 ft.'.

I think an upper door would probably leave a permanent mark...ouch.

Sorry you got so many offers. I have been trying to find friendly homes for several prewar upper windows. My postwar hinges are welded on - I wonder if somebody did me a favor?

I did have a right rear window go east on short approach to 28L - I guess I should slow down before turning sideways.

And shame on you! It is against the rules to fly with the door and/or window closed!

bob turner said:
And shame on you! It is against the rules to fly with the door and/or window closed!

Actually, we had been flying with it open and I only closed it for a minute to demonstrate how it worked...

I may need one of your windows yet! Thanks!

sj

All you need to do is ask. Do not expect great beauty. I'll dig one out. A beer next time I fly by your place will do it.

Back