• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Husky gear problem...

tamarack

FRIEND
Fairbanks, AK
Is it uncommon for the Husky landing gear "cabane V's" to bend? I have a customer's Husky with bent landing gear and would like advice re: repair or replace.

I did call Aviat for advice and was told the gear doesn't bend.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Vickie

Vickie, on original -12 or -14 or Pacer, ever seen that 'brace tube' that people weld-in between the 'tension leg' and the forward tube?

Something like that works good for the Husky too.

Aviat never seen one bend?

Yes, Dave, now that you mention it, I have seen that brace tube, especially on Taylorcrafts. However, is it legal? Have you seen any Huskys with that (legally) welded-on tube?

Thanks for the quick response!

Vickie

Vickie,

Look next door to you. The Huskys there have them, at least most do. It's field approvable, at least in ANC. Talk to John Pribbenow in OAS in ANC.

Just make certain the gear tubing isn't kinked. This happens in rebound.

MTV

Aviat has seen plenty of it. I know of at least three. They even changed the gear at one point. I thought I remember seeing an STC for adding the tube but I could be wrong.

Steve,

No stc that I'm aware of. The gear change was to accomodate the hydraulic wheel skis. If anything, that gear made the issue worse.

Burl is about to finish a "Cub type" landing gear assy for the Husky, with Aviat's blessing, I'm told. It will have the AOSS, I presume.

That additional brace is common on PA-12s as well. I think all those have been done with a field approval, if that, as well.

MTV

Back when I had a wrecked Husky on ebay people e-mailed me wanting to sell me the older style gear. They said they had changed to the stronger gear. I have bent versions of both but don't know the difference. Unfortunatly the Husky I flew a lot was sold. :x

Anyone interested in this topic may be interested to know that a Cub gear leg will slip right into the fittings on a Husky.

All you need is attachment lugs for the cabane vee and you could bolt a Cub system to it....ala......-12/-14 with an -18 set-up.

Dave,

I presume that's what Burl is doing. He's using a 3 inch extended gear as well, which I don't really understand, cause the Husky gear is already plenty long, but......

Don't it p..... you off when all these smart guys fail to call you prior to doing things?
:angel:

MTV

That idea has been tossed about for at least the last 6 or 7 years by some of my acquantances.

I think it's great if Burl take it and goes forward with it. Whatever he does will come out a peach.

Mike, any thoughts on the Arctic Tern. I figure you must have SOME opinion of them? There's another couple threads out there, I saw a quick comment from you, but nothing in-depth.

Thanks ahead of time. DAVE

I think Dave is on the right trail...

I believe Burl is going to use PA-18 gear on the husky with maybe the option for both 3" and regular. I think I heard that maybe you could buy aoss on your new husky from the factory as well...

Sounds like the big advantage would be going between gear and floats, without having the bungee issue.
Plus you would have the luxery of his great product as well.

Before anyone flames me, :onfire: or takes a :snipersmile: remember I am just repeating what I heard.

Ki

IMG_2348.jpg

Nah, we are a cat free zone. That was my analogy for "the cat's out of the bag"...

sj

Back