• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rinnai Propane/gas heaters. Anyone have experience with em?

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
I was thinking about using one in the guest pilot cabin. But I have no experience with them and don't klnow anyone who has. I was thinking about the little Rinnai 263 model.

Anyone know anything about these?

xx

I haven't used one of those , but I purchased the smallest TOYO stove a couple of yours ago...and put it into my guest cabin...works great and is trouble free as well as don't use much heating oil...used about 35-40 gal in the last two years...don't use it much in the winter...May-Mid Oct.

Ron
Copper Center

SBS sells the little Toyos here. I would have to haul fuel down into the woods in 5 gallon jerry jugs. I was thinking the Rinnai would let me haul 100 pound propane tanks down there in a sled. Plus be a little cleaner.

I have an old Monitor stove in my main house. It is just about ready to head up to oil stove heaven. I think I will replace it with a larger Toyo. Supposedly the new monitors are junk.

That is all I use in my home is the TOYO's...2700 SF...Larger Toyo up Stairs...Med one Down... My oil use in the house is 70-85 gal per month in the coldest part of winter here...You know it only gets down to -50 or 60 at times...the other nice thing about my Toyo's is that if one goes out in the house...I can grab the one from the guest cabin for back-up...had to do that once...

I haul the oil for my cabin in 5 gal cans...

Ron

I spent $700 getting my old Monitor fixed. What a waste of money. The house still smells like oil and exhaust gas. Now my oil/water serperator is leaking a little from my big tank. Finding a seeping fuel oil leak is really not that easy sometimes.

xx

Alex:
I've had an Aquastar tankless heater for about 20 years now. I would never go back to the old tank type. Home Depot in Kenai has them.
My old heater is not working properly now, so I guess it's time either to replace or repair. I was a dealer for Aquastar when I got mine so I still have a few parts somewhere.
Can't help on the Rinnai. They must be good, Paul Harvey advertises them. :D

Alex:
Make sure the heater you buy has the variable flame feature. That means it will vary the flame with the flow of water to hold the output temp to the selected one. Example....If you flow the minimum amount of water, the heater burns lower, as the water flow increases, the flame increases.

Alex,
The Toyo OM22 "OIL MISER" allows you to operate on #2 fuel oil versus the Monitors K1 restriction. My company deals mostly in Commercial accounts but over the last few years I have sold 15 of the Toyo's to friends who absolutely love them. My buddy up in Presque Isle pulled out his shops high efficiency LP heater and installed the TOYO he cut his heating bills in half. The fact that it is a modulating burner producing 22,000 BTUH at high and reduces to a cost effective 9,000 BTUH has you average less than a quarter of a gallon per un hour. So a 5 gallon jug of #2 should give you a days worth of heat give or take. The one and only draw back is that if the heater loses power it will NOT restart automatically due to UL requirements.
I am sold on these heaters and I plan on installing in my father in laws hangar in New Hampshire.
I have also distributed some of the propane Rinnai heaters and admit that they are extremely efficient and I have had no reason for call back due to a quality issue.
Good Luck
John

Alex,
I have a Rinnai heater. I'm not sure what model it is, I salvaged it from a house I was renovating. It's been heating my dusty, dirty garage for 6 years without any maintenance.

It is quiet, burns clean, and is very effient. Rinnia has a good reputation for making quality heaters. They're not cheap, but nothing good ever is.

AL

I could go with the little 263 Rinnai or the little Toyo model 30.
I was hoping I could find a used one that somebody needs to sell after a size upgrade.
But so far, nothing.
New they are both in the mid $800 range. Oil will require a tank, propane will require a new 100 pound bottle.
I was hoping somebody would work a trade on my Aero-Skis...

Waht do you have for Aero Skis. I have my Father in Laws Super Cub with out extended gear with the Borer

The skis are on the classified page.
plus I have more photos at home.
dragonfly@alaska.net

John:

The local propane dealer has Rinnai 263s in stock for $820. A month ago they were $790. Is that an ok deal?

Yeah he does. And since I own one, so do I....

He does not like the new OM-22 Oil Miser either.

I have a Rinnai propane on the sunporch. It's really quiet and absolutely cranks heat when needed. Mine was a floormodel at a heating store and I got it pretty cheap. I like it a lot. Very well built and designed and smaller than I imagined it would be.

I heat my house with Rannai's and like them, but they require electricity. I heat the apt/offc in the hanger with a DV-210 from http://empirecomfort.com/ which does not require electricity. I got the heater from Alaska Goldstar for around $500. No problems all winter and the room, though insulated, throws off enough heat to keep the well insulated hanger above freezing.

I assumed that but--if the power craps out it is nice not to worry about what is going to freeze.

I worried about that too. Since my main house is Monitor stove heated. So I bought a generator. And I have used it many times....

I can hardly wait to get enough together to replace that piece of junk Monitor...

But I have to finish the cabin project, get the plane back on floats, and do a few other projects first...

xx

Sorry Alex,
went to work got busy then rushed off to Sun-N-Fun. Will be back at the desk on Tuesday and check into the distributed wholesale cost for you to see if we can work a deal on the skis. Thanks John

Back