• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Battery Location

Battery on Smith Kit...

My battery, a Odyssey unit, is located under the back seat. Hope this helps.

Mike

Inside the boot cowl, right side. Access hole and removeable cover.
Lighter tail, shorter battery cables, can service the battery standing up straight. If CG issues arise put something useful and helpful in the back like tools, axe, etc. (not lead bars).
Regards,
Flapman

As we haven't flown ours yet, I'm not sure my advice will be helpful. We would have been crammed for roam under the front seat as with amphibian floats , a manual pump along with parking brake and associated hose used up most of the roam.
I find the space under the rear seat could have been used but is a convenient storage space.
We used the upper rear baggage space for our amphibian hyd. pump, and ELT , rear strobe power unit, and Odyssey battery. The amph. pump was put there rather than in the float so that it could be used with wheel skies. We are using a 0-360 and were advised to locate the above equipment for ballast. We will see in a few months when we do a weight and balance? I like having all the above equipment in one location, when you open the door, it looks like an equipment area , not a storage area, turned out fine.
Ron

Battery Location for Smith Cub

Nick recommends locating the battery on the shelf above the baggage compartment (same location as certificated Super Cub), particularly with the O-360. Access is gained through a small door in the rear metal headliner (not as convenient as the hatch door in the top). I think the Hawker battery below the seat is a viable option for those of us not planning amphibs or wheel skis.

All of that stuff fits very nicely in the Wip Amphib here - Cub Crafters did the float and pump installation, and got a 337 for the underseat battery.

Is anybody having trouble with the smaller batteries not having enough cranking amps in the winter?

Storm pilot,

I've used them in a number of work airplanes, in temperatures down to -40 and colder. They work FAR better in very cold temperatures than do conventional batteries.

They crank like crazy, initially. BUT, they will not grind away for five minutes like a stock battery.

They crank hard, but not as long. So, perfect your starting technique, and you'll never be sorry.

A side note is that we used to have battery blankets on our aircraft. After we switched to these things, we left the battery heaters off some, and they still worked fine, including taking a charge when cold, which a conventional battery doesn't like.

MTV

Back