• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

autogas 87 or 91 oct.

The only thing we can get here without ethanol is "mid grade" 87 oct... which works fine in the 150 hp STC...but won't work in the 160 hp. Our governor just signed a piece of legislation requiring all auto fuels to have ethanol included within the next few years. Our use of autogas is on a short time table.

lunchmoney said:
which grade of fuel do you auto fuel users use?

In engines that were intended for 80/87 avgas all you need is 87 AKI auto fuel. This fuel equates to about 81 or 82 octane using the method of octane rating used for avgas.

Joe

I'd run 87 if it was available in Minnesota without ethanol. All I can find locally is 91 octane, non-oxygenated (no ethanol). It's generally around 30 cents per gallon higher than the regular 87 octane.

Standard car gas is around $2.49 here; I can get 100LL nearby for $2.95 so it's easier to pull up to the airport pump than top haul gas in cans to the hangar. I suspect the difference is around 20-25 cents today. It's not worth the hassle of transporting it.

Jon B.

Back