PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Install Photos

Mark Lund
03-11-2006, 07:06 PM
I just posted some photos in my member gallery of the Poly Fiber install on my experimental 100 HP Cub. As of today, the fuselage, ailerons, gear, and all tail control surfaces are done thru the final coat of white. I'll trim the fuselage red after the boot and engine cowls are in place.

The wings are next.

Mark

Roger Peterson
03-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Looks great Mark. Wish I would have stopped down and looked at it when I came up and picked up my PA11. Did you start from scratch or did you purchase a kit on the fus.

fobjob
03-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Mark, how many coats of silver did you have to put down to pass the flashlight test?

Mark Lund
03-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Roger, the fuselage is a Wag Aero kit that's modified to have the Super Cub style wing attachments.

Fobjob, I just follow the Poly Fiber manual and put on two coats of silver, sand and spray a final coat of silver. It always seems to work out fine.

Mark

fobjob
03-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Mark, this is the premixed silver? My fuse was covered in '87 with ceconite
(by idiots) and it is down to 68lbs/inch due to the fabric transmitting some light. On my (cotton) wing patching, I couldn't get my self mixed silver dense enough to pass the flashlight test even after 5 coats, so I put down 2 coats of dark blue first, then the silver, and can no longer see light through the patches...the Piper process of putting on a dark blue fungicide before doping helped a great deal, probably, with the longevity of their products...I've seen that fungicide shimmer in the sun, too, so it probably has anti-ultraviolet properties.

Mark Lund
03-12-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm using the complete Poly Fiber process. They call their silver Poly Spray and it is compatible with the rest of their process. Judging by the way it settles in the cans, it must have a very high solids content. Once properly mixed and thinned it sprays very nicely.

Mark

fobjob
03-12-2006, 01:31 PM
I once asked a poly fiber guru about extra UV protection, and she answered carefully that, on showplanes, they sprayed on several additional coats of (pink)poly-brush(NOT the silver poly-spray) to hide seams and smooth over everything, but at a weight penalty of about 30lbs....apparently, nobody has paid much attention to this UV issue, but I think it could be serious.(mostly from variables in application) That's why I would love to get a clue about the flashlight test on your plane, to get a benchmark of the standard process, using the premixed chemicals...