• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cub Flyer Beer Poll

Alex's winter blues beer poll.

• Like Alex and his dog, I too drink premium beer only.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I will drink any beer I can afford.

• I pretend I don't drink beer, so can't anwer now, but hold a couple for me.

• Total voters

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
It's 9 degrees outside my house. Heidi the German Shepherd ate a huge bowl of chili that was on the counter, and I can't open the windows.

So,,, I was thinking about beer...

I may burn car gas in my Cub to save money from time to time,,,But I can't stand cheap beer.

My dog even prefers premium beer.

Now my lovely bride Iron Inge, who is a real Bavarian, will drink whatever cheap beer is on sale. YUCK.....

So how does this run with my brother and sister Cubites?

I may stock the guest cabin, so I can visit....

I like Alaska Pale Ale, Alaska Amber, and Pacifico if I have to drink Mexican beer.

xx

Dos Equis (XX) Amber @ 55 degrees F. Closet thing that you'll find to good German beer in the states.

Alex:

Your poll doesn't cover enough choices.

I *drink* almost any beer. I only *buy* decent beer. My favorite is Paulaner Hefe-Weizen, mmmm good! Imported from Munich.

Micro beers tend to be my second choice, until they get too 'trendy'. Sam Adams used to be OK, as did Anchor and Sierra Nevada. Now they're just beer to me.

I do sometimes buy Leinenkugels, a small-scale Wisconsin brew. They have something like 72 employees. Their Bock is quite good but infrequently available. Summit Ale, from Saint Paul, Minnesota is another good small-market beer. The Extra Pale Ale is yummy.

Jon B.

Ruidoso Ron said:
Dos Equis (XX) Amber @ 55 degrees F. Closet thing that you'll find to good German beer in the states.

Feh. The Mexicans have no idea how to make beer!

Jon B.

Jon,
I heard a little of the history of this brewery. It was actually started by German immigrants. Don't confuse this stuff with Carona or Carte Blanca. They're brewed with donkey p***! Give it a try......you'll like it!

Ron,
You're right on the money about Dos Equis and it's history. Before allergies started killing me, I used to home-brew / drink a few brews from time to time. Here's a little history on Dos Equis borrowd from another site:

Dos Equis Amber is a Vienna-style lager brewed by Cerveceria Cuahtemoc Moctezuma in Veracruz Mexico. A Vienna-style lager from Mexico you say? Actually yes. In 1897, Wilhelm Hasse, a German immigrant, established Dos Equis lagers in Mexico in honor of the approaching twentieth century. As expected, Dos Equis Amber has a mild, yet wonderful nose of sweet malt topped by a thin, lacy off-white head. A clear amber color body with copper highlights sits nicely in the lager glass. The lager has a simple yet elegant flavor profile of caramel and fresh roasted malt enhanced by pinpricks of mild hops bitterness at the finish. Although it is thinner than some Vienna-style lagers, it still maintains a likable smooth, crisp liquid mouthfeel.

You guys need to get your hands on some Tusker, kenyan beer. Really good stuff! Not sure how they brew it, and I probably don't want to know. :cheers

Alex Clark said:
I like Alaska Pale Ale, Alaska Amber, and Pacifico if I have to drink Mexican beer.

Not bad choices, especially the Pacifico. However, if at all possible my choice would be Carib (made in Trinidad). GOOD stuff!! Wish I could figure out a way to get some up here to Wisconsin (any ideas would be appreciated).

Cheers!

Joe

My favorite and first choice right now is Harp. When I m in Gods' country I ll buy Henry Weinhards' Amber. So much better than Alaska Amber...imho....
Good Health!
Barney

The only thing better tan flying your own super cub is flying your buddies'.

Likewise....

The only thing better than drinking your favorite beer is drinking your buddies'

Ziegen Bock or Shiner. When in Mexico I like Bohemian. Polar is pretty decent down in cental America.

If I can't pronounce the name of a beer, I won't drink it.
Coors Lite for me, thanks.
In Africa, Castles and Tafel are pretty good.

I tried to add more choices but it only printed a couple. I always have problems with the poll area of this web site.

CARIB ! I was drinking that on Saint Vincent back in 1978 when they got their independence from England. Prince Chuck the wing-nut was there on board HMS Jupiter. It was pretty cheap to buy.

There was some local stuff in Belgium that was really great.

That Tyrolian Italian beer is better than I thought it would be.

My dad is into Anchor Steam beer.

A good ol, Coca-Cola does it for me. Original not any of the new recipes. And definately not Pepsi.

Tecate.....30 years ago, I was on a Harley Sportster coming up out of Mexico towards Gila Bend at 10:30 at night and it was still 110 degrees. I pulled up behind a pickup full of Compadres and one pulled a Tecate out of a ice cooler and handed it to me as I went by.
I have drank Tecate since and wasn't similarly impressed but at the time that was the best beer I have ever tasted...

Yeap, flew into Bahrain a couple of times from another sandy place.

We caught a cab to the Gulf Hotel (which has a water fall down the middle of it inside.)

It was over 120 outside, damp and cool inside. Then a cute Korean chick, with legs up to here, brought over some beer in a frosted glass.
I do not even know what type of beer it was... But it sure welded itself into my memory..

xx

I haven't met a beer I really didn't like yet, but beers of choice would include, Eichbaum Export :drinking: (that's the good stuff I loved in Germany) Grolsh, Becks, Henry's Ale, Coors light, and if things get really desperate Keystone because what could be better than crappy bottled beer taste in a can(?).

In the mid 70s, when I was in college in eastern Oregon, there was some sort of Oregon beer that was popular back then, Blitz or Blatz or something like that.

xx

Miller lite...the kind Cubdrvr brings up in mass quantities, and you guys leave behind.
Great taste, less filling...and its free :)

In this part of the world it is Leines but I grew up in Rolling Rock country. There are a bunch of cops who hang out at our hangar and they will only drink Budweiser so I drink a lot of that too or whatever friends leave behind. A lot of guys rebuild stuff in our hangar over the winter. The rent is usually paid in beer.

My favorite is "FreeBeer" of just about any vintage. :D

(actually I don't care for beer but heard that saying once and thought it was funny)

Bill

beer

I have a cub flying buddy whose motto is "the cheaper the beer the better I like it cause the more of it I can afford"

JMBreitinger said:
In this part of the world it is Leines.

I was stationed at Wold Chaimberland ANG Base in 1970. The day my Flight Engineer class graduated, we toured 4 breweries in Mpls/St. Paul. I remember Hamms and Grain Belt, because they were the first two. The rest of the day is a little fuzzy. There were lots of neat localized breweries around town then.

Studing the side effects of ethel alcohol

At the present I only consume three kinds of beer, bottles, cans, and kegs. In the mean time I'm trying to expand my horizons.

Back