• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Trim inner sleeve

Marty57

PATRON
Nipomo, Ca
Question regarding the inner sleeve in the stab trim. Is that part chrome plated or simply turned to fit and polished 4130? The drawings show just 4130 but a sleeve I saw looked chromed. What do the experts among you know?

Thanks,
Marty

If you are talking about the linear tubes between the two stabilizers they are 4130 nickel plated and ground if I remember correctly. I have pulled out some that people installed 4130 tubing in. Ended up replacing the fitting in the fuselage the rear one goes thru.

Marty57 said:
Question regarding the inner sleeve in the stab trim. Is that part chrome plated or simply turned to fit and polished 4130? The drawings show just 4130 but a sleeve I saw looked chromed. What do the experts among you know?

Thanks,
Marty

We have made a couple with the 4130 tube, you will need to turn it down in the lathe first, then grind, sitting there for an hour watching the grinding machine gets boring though. These were a bit thicker tube for the float planes.

Tim

All the sleeves I have seen were just plain steel. The key is to keep that area coated with really good grease that is impervious to moisture. Corrosion will simply weld the horizontal surfaces permanently to the fuselage.

Bob,
I wondered about that. The drawings simply list it as 4130. I was planning on making my own inner sleeve and attach fitting tube. They seem simple enough. I know I have to turn the sleeve down to fit, but I have done that when I made inner sleeves to join the lower longerons together. Are the sleeves you have primed or painted or are they bare 4130?

Marty

Back