• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

J-3 Rudder Springs - What's wrong?

CubLite

BUCYRUS, KANSAS
Hi Everybody:

Need some help. After 15 years and 1600 hours flying the J-3 W/C-85, I recently experienced a couple occasions where in high wind situations, in taxi, I could not get it to turn away from the wind- that is that sometimes I would have to make a right 270 to make the intended left 90. I really felt like the rudder and steerable tailwheel were not working at all. I checked the tail springs on the tail and althought I thought they looked allright I went ahead and ordered and installed new compression springs from Wag-Aero. That really didn't change anything and a couple of days ago I noticed that the rudder cable's (especially the right) were very loose and just flopping around on the ground. This lead me to believe that the rudder return spring was broken. I took the bottom cowl off and removed the rudder pedal only to find that the spring is not broken and seems to have some pretty good force left to it. Can they wear out and not be broken? The $25.00 to Wag-Aero for the over-priced new springs is not a problem. I just want to know if I should be looking for something else or if new return springs will fix the problem. There is no problem in landing, take-off and flight. Taxi is the only problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Pat

springs

Get a super cub !!!! :wink: I had similar problem, Pat. Went with the heavier Scott tailwheel springs. Solved the problem. When hooking them up just dont have too much tension on them so they're not pulling on the rudder yoke all the time. And if you think Wag's springs are over priced......... :(

You sure you are not just more experienced and tackling stronger winds? There are lots of times when a little brake is needed to taxi in a crosswind, on any taildragger. Make sure, if you have a full-swivel tailwheel, that the latching mechanism is in good shape. Dirtbag springs work fine, for the most part, and the only thing the springs on the pedals themselves do is keep the pedals looking good when no feet are on them. They have nothing to do with the rudder or the tailwheel operation.

Pat,
I agree with David..................Get a Super Cub!

P.S. We'll hire a helicopter to bring the beer in.

Re: springs

david jaranson said:
Get a super cub !!!! :wink:

I'm glad somebody else said it. Pat, you just need to make a clever trade with a couple of those metal airplanes for a Super Cub.

sj

Man, I love you guys. This site is just like growning up with 10 brothers and sisters, always got a smart ass answer to ANY question! Seriously though, after further inspection, my tail wheel steering arm assembly seems pretty loose so I thought I would order one of those also. I remember replacing that in the early years of cub ownership, however Wag Aero no longer has them, say manufacturer is discontining, some of you guys probably knew that. Anybody know where to find one? Wag Aero part number 1709, Cat. No. D-306-002. Thanks again for the suggestions, Dave, Dave, Ron & Steve, however if I get my C-180 deal done I'm gonna put 31' tires on it and race you guys back to Idaho. :lol:

Pat

Pat,

You may have to trade in your mooney for the tailwheel arm. I just bought one for our J3... OUCH!

sj

First off, stop ordering stuff from brand "W". You'll get in the habit and end up with other stuff that is not good quality. Also, if you stop ordering they will eventually stop sending their catalog!

Call Univair and Aircraft Spruce to try and find parts. Parts will be expensive because the manufacturer has stopped production and they now command a premium. E-bay usually has one or more used for sale. I think there are a few new parts on there now. If you run completely out of luck you can replace the Scott 2000 with a Lang tailwheel.

John Scott

John:

Do you have Univar and Aircraft Spruces telephone numbers. I have looked for my old catalogs and can't find them. Would appreciate it.

Pat

I tried to order one for my 3200, yesterday, from Univair. They say they expect some in 1-2 weeks. We shall see. :roll:
Did you try Alaska Bushwheels. They are supposed to have some Scott parts now.

I forget: did you say you had a 3200 on a J-3?

The Maule is not a great tailwheel, but properly maintained and aligned it is more than adequate for the J-3. Find one used. The 3200 is serious overkill for the J-3, and requires a (ugh) field approval.

Back