• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

pa-12

lowandslow

does any one know if all the pa 12 air frames were built out of 4130 steel or were some of them in the beginning partially 1010 and 4130 steel. I'm thinking I would like to build one of these with most of the alaska mods but not sure if there is more thane one kind of frame?

Everything I've read says 4130 is what makes the 12 different from the
J-5. There is a historical website that seems to confirm this, I'll see if I can find it again.

I have a few copies of original PA12 drawings that I bought from Cub Club. According to those drawings, some tubes are 1020 and some are 4130.

12 Geezer, are those drawings adequate to build a new fuselage? If so, could you tell me the order numbers/drawing numbers Cub Club uses so I could order a set?

The drawings I have aren't, especially because some material callouts are missing, including wall thicknesses. However I didn't order everything available from CubClub either. It may be worthwhile to contact CubClub; they can probably give you a good straight answer.

Get ahold of the wag-aero pa14 plans. The fuselage is the same except for the left side and the tandem seating.

Wag Aero Plans

My Dad built the Wag Aero 2+2, and I have a 12, I thought that just the top and bottom of the fuselage is the same as the 12, and the mid section is wider.

skukum12 said:
Everything I've read says 4130 is what makes the 12 different from the
J-5. There is a historical website that seems to confirm this, I'll see if I can find it again.

Most of the birdcage in the J-5 is 4130, source is original piper drawing. The truss buildup in the J-5 is different from the PA-12 too.

Tim

Back