• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-14 trim

Marty57

PATRON
Nipomo, Ca
I need help regarding the trim system on a PA-14. Did the ’14 have the same jack screw setup as the Super Cub? I need to make a decision regarding the trim on my Exp.14/2+2 as I am nearing that point in the fabrication of the fuselage. Wag has the trim on the stab and I am trying to decide if I will follow the plans or add the jack screw. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Marty

www.xanga.com/martyfeehan

Just my 2 cents worth, you will never be sorry that you went with the jack screw, its one of the features that makes a Piper a cut above the other aircraft in its class. Its worth the extra work. if you decide to use it,McFarlane Aviation will make you a nice custom trim cable for your application. And the 14 has the jack screw. Kevin

The Piper PA-14 rolled out of the factory with a single groove pulley, jack screw trim system. Most have been converted to the double groove PA-18 trim system. Mine has over head trim and uses the same length trim cable as a PA-18. I belive it is 108" long if memory serves me correctly.

The best thing about Cubs is the trim system. It's where all the other "copy cat" planes have failed. Crash

Crash,
Where do you have the trim wheel or handle with the overhead? The overhead trim sure seems like it would be easier to route the cables.
Marty

Marty57 said:
Crash,
Where do you have the trim wheel or handle with the overhead? The overhead trim sure seems like it would be easier to route the cables.
Marty

I took some .040 4130 sheet metal and made a channel 3" wide with 1/2" sides about 8" long. This was welded to the upper deck, front carry through tube (top windsheild). The tail end was angle cut and welded to the "X" brace top deck tube. A 4" long 1/8" wide "key hole" slot was cut out just behind the trim crank bushing for the trim indicator. Trim indicator is PA-18 style. The trim cable is routed along the turtle deck supported by triple pulleys (one for feed, one for return, center one for the trim indicator cable. Hope this helps. Crash

Back