• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Chipmunk

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
Got a little tile in a Chipmunk today. Man what a hoot. Very well balanced airplane. Almost as good as an Ag Cat.

I'm with ya there..... Have logged about 90 hours in a Chipmunk used for airshows and skywriting. All of it X-country moving the aircraft from show to show. 350hp. AEIO-540 w/ Monty Barret (sp?) induction, clipped wings and enlarged tail, modified bubble canopy. Absolute blast to fly, but still a pussycat on the ground, very benign landing characteristics.

Took this pic of Rainier on a trip out to Hoquiam, WA several years ago.

Chipmunk.jpg

No, it has been modified with toe brakes. But the tail is still full swivel....and on the ground there is 0 resistance against the rudder pedals so it takes som getting used to. To turn you have to apply your brake on the one foot, but still hold against the rudder with the other to give you a purchase to apply the brake pressure. Otherwise your brake foot goes to the floor and the airplane does nothing. Probably sounds more complicated than it is, but it is definitely a dance.

I just sold my 1952 Royal Army DHC-1 a few months ago and it was one nice flying bird. I wish had the money to restore that bird like it deserved. They are the last great "value" warbird. In a few years the restored ones will be out of sight like AT-6's and Stearmans are today.

Cheers,
marlboro

Back