• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Edo 2000 Floats

Bill Ingerson

Snohomish Washington
I stopped in at Kenmore Air harbor again to double check on the information about the new run of Edo 2000 floats that will be available.
They will make 36 sets of new floats. They are Anodized then assembled, then two part epoxy to seal them from corrosion. All floats will come with attachment gear for any plane that uses Edo 2000 floats.
Fish hatches will be available with STC for a additional $1000. You have to install those, they come in a Kit. The new Floats with gear will cost $17,800. plus shipping and crating. Tried for a discount on group purchase but no luck there. New floats that were built in the U.S were sold at about $24,000. last year. So they did come down in price.
Some repair parts will be cast in the U.S and will remain the same price, but some of the repair aluminum skins will be reduced in price.

I also asked about the STC approval for the gross weight from the FAA in Anchorage and its still being looked at, Very frustrating for Kenmore. Once approved it will raise the gross weight to approx 2007 pnds for the PA-18
If you need more help you can phone Eric Johanson he is the head guy for the Edo Float division at Kenmore Air Harbor. Very helpful call him at
425 482 2255

Bill

These are, I assume, being manufactured abroad?? I asked Erik about a run of new 1320s and he said they may do it but they'll probably be made elsewhere???? I like to buy American if possible. If I'm mistaken, I appologize.

Floats

Dano, I agree with you, when I can buying American is the way to go. How ever the world market is changing before our very eyes. Kenmore Air Harbor made the floats here in the U.S. but could not be competitive and was forced to go to China for the manufacturing of the new Edo floats. Now they are priced below there competitors and the quality is very good. Labor being cheaper in China made the difference. Labor in Japan use to be cheap as well, but thats changing and products are getting more expensive. Right now Korean cars new can be bought under $10,000. A new car is coming out of China that will also be very cheap.
Guess we need to take advantage of some of the good deals while they last.

I would recommend looking at a set of Baumann BF-2100's before buying Edo 2000's.

http://www.baumannfloats.com/models/pdf/bf2100_piper.pdf

I land on lakes and walk all over mine fishing off them (flat tops vs round). They will take three Gott 5 gallon gas cans in each float locker. You can walk on the tails of the floats and never get your feet wet. They're faster then Edo 2000's in the air (my plane flys 5 mph faster on floats then wheels). With fluted bottoms they take rough water much better. They're lighter.

Some guys say they're "tinny" but I don't know what they're talking about. I left my plane in the water all summer and never got any water out of any compartment, they're tight. I really like mine.

Crash

What are your Baumanns on Crash? A -14 or a -18 ?

I agree, the tops and the lockers of the Baumans are pretty nice compared to the Edo 2000's. You say they are lighter? The website lists them at 247lbs, I didn't think the Edo's were quite that heavy. I'll have to look on my paperwork.

I don't think they are tiny but they are slippery and the sure paint up nice if you're going for a coordinated look.

I have them on my PA-14 but am considering trying them on the PA-18.

Ask the guys who pick up floats and move them around all day changing them in the spring and fall, "who makes the lightest floats"? My shop works on all types of floats and the owner says Baumann's are the lightest and best built floats, period. Brochure weights are always off. I can pick up mine and move them around by myself.

They're also built in the USA and not built (Edo) in a third world country by a work force that will never see them again.

Crash

I've carried plenty of Edo 2000's and have never been able to do it solo. Not so much because of the weight as the awkwardness. How do you do it alone?

I'll trust your word on them being light, I've look at them for the last couple of years and really like them. These Edo's were built here I believe. This set has been tight thankfully, and under the Cub since 1981. No holes, just a dent from a airdrop gone bad. I don't mind the back ends going under water, then I can tell how heavy it's loaded. Besides. that water washes the mud off the boots. :roll:

Baumanns are the lightest floats around. We weighed them, EDO's and Wips and the Baumanns were definitely the lightest, though I don't recall the actual weights.

MTV

I also asked about the STC approval for the gross weight from the FAA in Anchorage and its still being looked at, Very frustrating for Kenmore. Once approved it will raise the gross weight to approx 2007 pnds for the PA-18
Bill[/quote]

Has anything happened with this gross weight STC attempt by Kenmore? This was nearly 5 years ago. Haven't heard anything in a long time. I checked their web site but found nothing.
Are the new Chinese units holding up OK?

Back