• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Smith Cub in Kalispell, MT area...need a real one to look...

bsantana

Alaska/Montana
at once in a while. I'm finding a lot of little details that I have no idea on what to do with. Had a Super Cub about 15 years ago, but my memory is short and I guess I didn't pay enough attention to her then.

I think interior details are going to drive me nuts as well as fit-up of cowl, windshield, boot cowl. It would be a great help to be able to look at a real airplane once in a while. Anybody out there close by that has one they want to show off once in a while?

Thanks,

You do have the Northland drawings don't you? I couldn't imagine tackling an experimental Cub without the drawings. Seeing an uncovered Cub is also very valuable so I understand what you are saying. Definately get the drawings though.

Barry,
I have a 1959 PA18A-150, N5362X, that I keep at the Colville, WA airport (63S) and you are welcome to come look at it. It's an ag model, so the rear section of the interior will be a little different, but the cowling and windshield will be the same as a standard supercub of that year. Colville may be a little too far away though (about 2 hours in a cub).

Are you the same Barry Santana that I worked with in Prudhoe Bay in the 1980's?

John Fejes

cub

I could bring mine by. Would give you an idea of how they should look when done. I will be heading that way in mid to late Feb. Resond per pm

Bugs66,

I do have the Northland CD and it has been very helpful. Some of the original drawings in the Parts and Maintenance catalogs are hard to see individual components, but they have helped considerably. It is the details and some of the changes made to the Smith kit that are throwing me. Nick and Nick Jr. have been a great help as well, but it's hard to get a clear picture over the telephone at times.

Smith owner too...

Barry,
I have a pretty early Smith Kit completed and flying in NC. If you are up this way, please feel free to drop in, or... if you need, I can take photos of anything you would like me too, and get them to you.

Mike in NC

bsantana - have you seen Cubus Maximus's photo gallery - the one titled "Building a Smith Cub in Brainerd" - its 79 pages of Smith kit build photos and growing - here's a link to it.

http://sparky.supercub.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=559

I don't know Cubus personally but I'm willing to bet a pretty large sum of money that if you pm'd him or called him with a question he may be able to help and if he doesn't already have a photo of what you are looking for in his extensive album I'd again bet he could get you one. Why not check out his gallery and shoot him a pm. Just a thought and I hope it helps. Good luck with your project.

Thanks Gunny

Gunny,

Thanks for reminding me about Cubus' gallery. I looked at it before I started the kit, but haven't looked for quite a while. Folks are sure helpful around here!

Back