• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Emag/Pmag

Dan2+2

Paducah, KY
I am leaning strongly towards this set up for my 160 O320. Or two Pmags. Anybody have any experiance with these they could share?

Dan
I've been wondering the same thing. I'm not sure but I've heard it doesn't help much down low. I friend has electronic ignition on a Questair venture, he said up at 15,000ft it makes a big difference.

Tim

Get MikeO to rave about the Lightspeed with Hall effect phase III. I have almost written the check a half dozen times now. I keep going back to just buying another mag with impluse coupling, still up in the air. I want to hear the pros and cons from someone that has 1000-2000 hrs on lightspeeds product. Anyone out there?

Greg

E-mag

I just installed an E-Mag on a hot rod O-360 . Nothing to hang on the firewall and very easy to time. Not going to test fly until this storm blows through. Will let you know. Jerry.

There's an informative article in December issue of EAA's Sport Aviation magazine but that does'nt take the place of a real user. Like lot's of other folks I'd like to hear some first hand reports. GP

EMag

Erik,
The EMag/PMag is an electronic ignition system that is a direct replacement for a magneto in a lycoming 320/360 in the experimental market. It is a popular system in the RV group, I'll try to find some performance reports on the system. The E is a straight electronic ignition and the P is an EMag with a built in permanent magnet alternator to provide electricity for the EI at or above idle speed. Once you get started with a PMag, it will continue to run without any external power source. The company has stated that they will seek certification after all of the design/production problems have been resolved. More info at their website: http://emagair.com/

Jim

I have 2 P-Mags sitting on the bench. I, too, took advantage of the 30% off sale.

Hope to have them installed soon on my Smith Cub.

Lou

I had the lightspeed unit on my cub when I built it. I loved it and it did things for the engine that made for great performance. But I spend 4 months in canada and if I end up with a dead battery out in the Bush, I have no way to get it started. I would have to hit the help button on the spot or trip the switch on my PLB. I know I could carry a extra battery but the old mag it real safe. Until I can get it spinning 900 rpm by hand, even though electronic ign is great, I will stay with the mags I have put back on the unit.

According to the folks at E-Mag....all you need to get it to fire is a 9V flashlight battery. Just something to ignite the mixture and then once the engine fires and goes above 800RPM you are back in business.

In fact, they claim, if you have a "dead battery", ie the starter just clicks, there is more than enough juice to create an explosion and get things going.When my starter clicks and won't engage I still show around 11.4-11.6V.

A friend has one P-Mag and can do all of the above while hand propping.

We shall see, said the blind man.

Lou

Thanks Lou. I had not checked into it far enough. Think I will give it another try. Just wire in a gel cell, keep it charged through a diode and switch it in if I ever need it. I sure liked the electronic ignition. Have no experience with E-Mag but would hope their programing is as good as that of Lightspeed.

I don't remember "who's" this is (believe it's lightspeed).. but one that I installed on a customers Rebel last year and by coincidence (with this thread going as well today) I took pics of it today while I was starting an amphib install this morning.

emag.jpg

emag2.jpg

emag3.jpg

So it's been a few years since this thread was started and has any concenus developed? I'm anxious to hear what results have been achieved. The P-Mag seems to have solved the in flight power problem. Do current users see benefit/value for our cub type of flying below 5000 ' ? Seems like a no brainer when Slicks are throw-away but I would sure like to hear some more user input. Thanks in advance. Greg

Isn't the Lightspeed ignition used on the CC340 used in the Carbon Cub? I was just researching this very subject this weekend while we had that white crap falling from the sky. The Lightspeed appears to be the most prevelant ignition used in homebuilts.
WW

Isn't the Lightspeed ignition used on the CC340 used in the Carbon Cub? I was just researching this very subject this weekend while we had that white crap falling from the sky. The Lightspeed appears to be the most prevelant ignition used in homebuilts.
WW
Yes, we use two Lightspeed Plasma III systems on the CC340, both wired directly to the battery, not through the master contactor.

I've built a couple of RVs now and believe Lightspeed is quite easily the most prevalent system out there. The Emag/Pmag system has been making inroads in that market however and I like many aspects of their design. They had some early teething problems but believe they have largely worked through them. If you have an Experimental where you can use them they are definitely worth a look.

Last edited:
I've have an E-mag and a Bendix mag for 3 years on my 0-320, I like it. I have 9 to 1 pistons and Lycon CYLs. lean of peak ( CHTs 360deg ) I burn 6 to 6.2 GPH 23" 2450 rpms

I have 2 P-Mags sitting on the bench. I, too, took advantage of the 30% off sale.

Hope to have them installed soon on my Smith Cub.

Lou

Well it has been 2 yrs and 700hrs of trouble free flying. The NGK BR8eis iridium auto plugs never load up and never wear out.

I have approx 212hp...O-360/ 10-1 pistons/ K&N Airfilter / LEES SS exhaust. I burn 1 to 1.5gph less than with Slicks. At 275-300 hrs per year they paid for themselves in one year!

Would do it on my 180 but Emag isn't ready yet.

Lou

Have 450 hours on my 160 lyc with 2 light speed mags without a glitch, also running NGK's, K&N filter, burn 7.2 @cruise of 2450.

I've have an E-mag and a Bendix mag for 3 years on my 0-320, I like it. I have 9 to 1 pistons and Lycon CYLs. lean of peak ( CHTs 360deg ) I burn 6 to 6.2 GPH 23" 2450 rpms

Tim you normally fly with a bunch of C85 powered friends :howdy I would think at the power setting you need to keep up with us that you'd only burn a gallon or two an hour.

Glenn

I've used lightspeed for 9 years over 1500 hours of flawless performance on two different cubs average fuel burn 7.2 gph I run two on my kuzoom airplane 800 hrs no trouble have a 1.7lb back up battery would recommend to anyone Mikeo

:roll: SJ we have been invaded!

Thanks for reporting the post, that is the best way to handle it when you find them. We have had a lot of spam registrations lately, I am going to have to get fancier...

sj

Back