• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

smartplug = no magnetos

Allow me to be the first to say
bs.gif

IF it works, maybe try one in the airboat. 0-320, would be a good test. Can not hand prop it anyway, at least keeping your hand :lol:

It's funny with ignition systems for aircraft engines. Nothing seems to be more controversial...

For some reason magnetos are so fantastic that we will never abandon them. Then it doesn't matter that the electronic ignition systems in cars works for 500 000 miles without problems in rain, snow and with a minimum of maintenance...

In the VP-1 I'm building I will put a single electronic ignition system on the VW engine. I'm actually looking forward to all the upset comments I will receive... :wink:

/Mattias

I like mags on my airplane and points in my boat. Been stranded when that PFM box had a mind of it's own in my truck.

While driving my pontiac through a mile long tunnel, the electronic ignition gave up the ghost. was stranded in the tunnel.
Give me 2 mags that don't rely on external power anytime.

John

Forgive me...

Forgive me, but when I look at the new "Spark Plug", it looks very much like a glow plug. How can this work when a gasoline engine needs to be timed precisely? Glow plugs work fine when running at fixed rpm's or when timing is relatively unimportant. I don't get it.

Mike

Back