• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Books on bush flying

BES

Esbjerg, Denmark
http://www.aviationworld.net/product.asp?pID=5605&cID=722

Has anybody read this book? The caption on the website reads almost like a real estage agent's drivel:
"Imagine flying through wildly unpredictable weather conditions and over the unforgiving terrain of the Big Empty, with only yourself to rely on in life and death situations. This type of true grit adventure was a common occurrence for Alaska bush pilot Mort Mason, who encountered numerous white-knuckle situations while honing his skill--and his luck--in a profession that only a handful of pilots have had the stamina to endure. Flying the Alaska Wild is a heart-pounding, edge-of-the-chair collection of fascinating stories about the rough-and-tumble life of an Alaska bush pilot--straight from the pilot’s seat. Recounting thirty years of adventures, skilled storyteller Mason presents tales of his own experiences, and also tells the legendary stories of other old-time bush pilots. "

....and does anyone know if Mort Mason is for real??

Bent

Go to Amazon.com, type in the title and it will take you to a home page. There are several reviews, mostly good. Sounds a bit like F.E. Potts, Guide to Bush Flying. Only $14 US on Amazon. Make a good Xmas gift...

Bob D

Thanks for the heads-up. I read the reviews and have to agree that it sounds good.

Look up Wager with the Wind by Don Sheldon. It is a great book of bush flying stories from the Talkeetna area. [/i]

The Mort Mason book is good, and I really liked Wager with the Wind. Really makes you like and respect old Sheldon. I think my favorite book though in this category is Artic Bush Pilot by James "Andy" Anderson.

One that I have read that I really did not find that entertaining is Northern Flight of Dreams by Larry Whitesitt. Larry if you read this, I apologize, but it was just not the caliber of storytelling that the above 3 books are.

Several Alaskan aviation books that I have and enjoyed are:

The Flying North by Jean Potter
The Last of the Bush Pilots by Harmon Helmericks
The Flight of the Arctic Tern by Constance and Harmon Helmericks
The Flying Priest Over the Arctic by Paul Shulte
In the Shadow of Eagles by Rudy Bilberg
Heroes of the Horizon by Gerry Bruder
Winging It by Jack Jefford
Sourdough Sky by Stephen Mills and James Phillips
Wager With the Wind by James Greiner

both wager with the wind and the other one are awsome books i have them both and i have read them both atleast 5 times

tom ford

I liked Flying the Alaska Wild. While I would'nt rate it excelent, it is definitely worth reading. Another one I liked was King of the Ice. I no longer have it around and can't remember the author,someone here might know of it. Early day hunting stories from the peninsula, and polar bear hunting stories which are quite rare.

There was a fairly long thread awhile back on this subject. It was under the "art and science of flying heading" and titled "Good Books for those who have time to read". Sorry I don't have the computer skill to figure out how to link to that thread. There were quite a few good suggestions for books on that thread.

Mort Masons book was a pretty good one but there are a few things that are hard to believe but over all a pretty good read.

P.S. Another good book about flying in Alaska is the "Adventures of The Iditarod Air Force". Very good book about the pilots that make that race happen. Alot of neat ski plane stories.

I heard that F.E. Potts died recently. No word on his website, but it has not been updated since June. There is a really neat essay on the site which acknowledeges the short time he had left.

http://www.fepco.com/

sj

Thanks Steve. Very well written. Sad. I don't understand why people have to be that way.( tear up someones property )

Bill

Yes I agree a very well written essay. Its makes me angry to hear about things like that happening more often. Its to bad that it happens to the best of us.

Speaking of Books :crazyeyes: I think I posted about this book a while back. Title: Wings over the Wilderness, Adventures of the Alaska Bush Pilot Paul Shanahan. It is a real good book :up about Paul who lives up at Iniakuk Lake with his wife. He is still flying. Lots of good stories and it is written by a Super Cub Driver! I didn't think Cub drivers could write? :wink: here is the link to the book.

http://www.sixtybelowpress.com/home/index.html

Books

Hey Tim, I didn't think 170 drivers could read!
I just finished the aforementioned Gilliam book. There is some good early Alaska aviation history in it...

I don't have that one yet. But I will get it and add it to my collection.
Seems like I'm not reading them as fast as I use to. :drinking:

Jerry Gaston said:
I use to watch Sky King on TV

Sky King is da man. There used to be a website with all episodes online.
sky-king-da.jpg

Back