• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Best Snowsuit?

cubdrvr

SPONSOR
YKN(mother city of the dakotas)
I need to get a new winter suit......my old one is wore out. Any of you northerners have advice on a fairly light, non-encumbering, not bulky snow suit ( coverall type)......water n' wind proof......with good warmth?

The snowmachine crowd tells me that Klim is the way far best. I've not tried them in the cold, though I've looked at them and tried them on. They are not at all bulky, but I don't think you could think of a more effective way of making winter colder than to snowmachine, so I'd take their words for it.

The Klim stuff is really spendy, though.

MTV

Several years ago I bought a winter flight suit from Flight Line: 800-252-2218. It's insulated with Thinsulate and is not too bulky. It has all the usual flight suit pockets, and has a convenient chart holding clip on the right knee. I've used it on a winter flight up to northern New Hampshire on days when the OAT was -20F and my heater was inop. It kept me comfortable then. Now, with a functioning heater, after about 20 minutes of flying I need to open the front zipper to keep from overheating.

The cut of the legs accomodates bunny boots, and the sleeves have knitted wrist bands to keep cold wind from blowing up your arms.

The only change I would make is in the length of the front zipper: it stops where most trouser zippers stop. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but if you're on a 4 hour leg and you don't want to stop to relieve yourself, the standard zipper length makes it hard to take a leak in the empty Gatorade bottle without hosing down your leg or your seat cushion. If the zipper was about 6" longer, so it ended between your legs, the process would be much less hazardous.

Tried them all....I now fly everywhere in the winter wearing my Mustang Atlantic Class floater suit. Warm as a bug....and well prepared for when I step out onto the ice I go thru ! My airplane will sit on the ice better than my 205 lbs standing on 3/4 of a square foot of area. 267lb/sq foot compared to my airplane at about 1400 lbs on 16 square feet of ski = only 87.5lbs/sq ft

In northern Minnesota I see most of the game warden pilots wearing wool bibs and their standard issue insulated jacket. Wool is no doubt warm and not to bulky. I need something new also, and was thinking about those bibs snow boarders wear. They have lots of pockets, waterproof, and warm...according to the kids on the ski hills

Just think... you'd be the "coolest rad dude" in YKN :D

Layers, layers and layers.

I wear a Capoline set of long underwear, through a polar fleece windstopper jacket and pants over that, and I am fine in 20 below. If it is windy, I put a wind break shell and windbreak pants, (presently northface long ski jacket and hunting rainpants). When I get in the plane I take off the outer jacket, open the windstopper and am not so over heated, but can close up quickly for my next stop.

In real cold, I have insulated pants, but my upper gear is the same.

Bottom layer should always be Brinje fishnet long underware. Especially if you are going to do something active. Just don't ever let anyone see you in them :lol: .

When I'm around the airplane and fuel I wear carhartts. The cotton exterior produces less static than nylon or wool.pak

pak,

The only static you need to worry about is that which is delivered via this site :lol: .

Good point, just don't get wet and cold in them Carharts. Cotton is as bad as it gets in cold and wet.

The latest generation of Nomex is much more anti static than earlier versions.

MTV

Mike, those Klim items, were they insulated? All the ones I've seen are a non-insulated shell of GoreTex XCR which is the more-breathable version of GoreTex. Super-nice stuff for an active person throwing around a 500 pound snowmachine, but maybe not the best for a one-piece insulated cover-all type garment worn while sitting on your butt in a Cub.

Also, do you guys have a standard-issue type of garment? What about the Troopers?

I usually run capilene or polypropylene long undees top and bottom and then: either a Carhart cotton-duck oversuit; cotton jeans and a down jacket under cotton duck coat; non-insulated Goretex ski-pants, fleece top, and Goretex shell jacket.

It depends on what the flying is linked to and how cold. I'm not out when it's 30 below F.

Cubdrvr, you asked the question first. What kindof suit is your worn out one? What kind of temps?

Thanks guys, I've been wondering about this since we've been having a colder-than normal fall, etc. I just bought some insulated, breathable, waterproof, camo. bibs from Sportsman's Warehouse for 59 bucks, a steal, they're usually 89, still a steal at the higher price. They are warm!!

Any of you guys see the SC.org HomePage photo of the "Iditarod group" or somethig like that. There's quite a mix of 'get-ups' in that photo.

Snowsuit shmosuit - I think Dave is after some warm jammies for those cold SD nights - here you go Dave - these have wittle kitty cats on them!:D

FOOT718.jpg

God help ya Gunny....... :cat: :lol:

Mine at home have bunnies on 'em.........

DC.......My old one was mfg. by Raven Industries ( the hot-air balloon folks from SD)......I bought it in the 70's and wore it through lots of cold flying winters. It was easy on and off.....zippers up both legs.......and fit well for movement. I need to find something similar.

I've always loved my Carhart overalls because of the easy on-off with the zipper up each leg. The weight is heavy, though. Also, they're cotton, not good if I get wet.

....and don't have bunnies or kitties.

My wife has this ankle length, zip-up fleece night/house/gown/coat??-thing. I wear it sometimes, but am embarrassed when I answer the door in a pink colored plaid night-gown. I think she's sewing me one made of camouflaged fleece for Christmas. YES!!! It's soooooo nice.

So, Cubdrvr, what kindof temps was the Raven suit good for?

Anyone find a link to that "Iditarod group" photo?

im on my 3rd year on cabelas guide-wear insulated bibs. work great. light, warm enough for anything that you'll fly in, water proof, wind proof. the only thing i dont like is they only zip to the knee. for a coat i ALLWAYS wear wind stopper in my layers. thats a must in my opinion. i have also had good luck with my trusty carharts. good for anything.
greg

COAT

here in canada ont it get below 40 no wind so just imagine when windy [very cold] we wear breathable no cotton layers gortex is good $$
with canadian goose coat and pants2 peace don't forget a big fur hat
with beaver mitts i haven't found the perfect boots yet i don't like to be cold
a bit bulky thats the price for staying warm

Dave,

I've used a military nomex flight suit at work for a number of years. These are the insulated ones, and they are toasty at minus anything, in my experience. They are a pretty slick finish, with a quilted lining, all Nomex.

Military price was $369 last I looked. The way these are designed, they are pretty thorough insulation from the waist down, but above the waist, you'd still want to wear a coat outside. I wear them with a down vest and keep a parka in the back, when in the plane.

Someone I know found a set that fit in a surplus store the other day for less than $100.

The slick finish allows you to kneel in snow, and it slides off, which I like.

They are kind of heavy, weight wise, but not bad.

Everyone wears whatever they've got. We don't really have a standard at all.

As the man says, a Beaver or marten hat and good gloves.

I don't leave home without Bunny boots. They are the only thing that will save your feet in really bad stuff. All those high tech boots are fine till things get really ugly, but I'll stick with the good old BB's.

MTV

bunny boots

I lived & flew in kotzebue for a few years & mike your on the money with bunny boots beaver hats & good mits DONT leave home without them! I have a custom pull over mushers style coat with a zip off wolf ruff made by the posh house in ANC I layer & use eather north face bibs or posh house bibs they are defenitly the kind bra!

A canadian goose coat w/hood and bibs, bunny boots (Beta), large mittens with poly liners, and mushers hat if you want to stay warm. Now if you are going to be working in the cold, then a gorTex snowmachine suit and bunny boots are hard to bet. Always wear poly underwear and lots of polar fleece.

I'm going to say Mustang or Stearns work suits. Both made in the US (Bellingham, WA and St. Cloud, MN - both towns I've lived in). The USCG approved float coveralls are a tad bulky with the float collar, but warm as toast, and long-wearing. $400-$500 is about what they're going for. The non-approved ones are 'round $200.

http://www.stearnsinc.com/Industrial/NC_ProductsList.aspx?selection=4&CategoryID=6538611

http://www.stearnsinc.com/Industrial/NC_ProductsList.aspx?selection=4&CategoryID=6538612

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/smsd900.html

I personally dislike one piece systems, they make bodily functions inconvenient in the wild on a -20 degree day.

I personally like seperate pants and coat. It is more convenient for stripping layers when active.

My requirements for winter flying are:
1. Should not be very flammable
2. Should provide warmth even when wet in case of submersion
3. Should be breathable for times of activity (getting back into a cold plane soaked with your own sweat isn't fun)

Wool seems to be a pretty good overall compromise. It doesn't melt to skin when burnt like synthetics(I have seen too many burn problems and they are a gift that keeps giving), It is also heat retentive when wet and is somewhat breathable. I personally like Filsons heaviest pants (not bibs) and a Filson coat. I always use a bottom layer of fishnet to makes sure moisture is away fom skin and that there is always a layer of air to insulate the body. The layer in between the two just mentioned vary according to conditions.

This stuff will serve a couple of useful purposes. It's nice fleece and made from nomex so it shouldn't stick to you if your airplane burns. I always wear a thin layer of Merino wool underwear next to my body which will keep the nasty melted polyester from sticking to you also.

Go to http://massif.com/nomex_fleece/hotshot_jacket.php

Wool just seems to get itchy on me :yikez: . I used to wear poly or capilene as the bottom layer. Anybody try that new UnderArmor stuff? I use there hot weather version now and it nice.

If you get the good stuff - Merino wool, it won't itch. It is much finer wool fibers than most wool products. I am the same as you; most wool drives me crazy. The Merino wool is almost like cotton. All of the Capilene and poly fibers melt and stick to you. Here is the link for merino skins. They are from Australia and they actually ship really quick. Very comfortable.

http://www.wool-underwear.com/html/merino_skins.html

There are very good, very comfortable Nomex long underwear available from several vendors. Look up race car suppliers, or go to Flight Suits LImited. The prices are reasonable, and the stuff works fine.

MTV

Ground Loop,

I'm about the sweaty-est person I know, and the stuff works pretty darn well for me. Trust me, I've worked up a few pretty good sweats getting out of stuck-osis in the winter.

I think the stuff I have is almost as good as poly pro in that regard.

And it doesn't itch as bad as cheap wool, assuming you wash it more than once a winter.

MTV

Here's that photo of the 'Iditarod Crew'. click to enlarge

Maybe these guys would speak up to what kinda undee's they wear. 8)

Back